Add Accessible Text to Attribution button

06-15-2022 08:02 AM
Labels (1)
AimeeStephens
New Contributor III

Thank you for the improvements that have been made to StoryMaps over the years.

In testing StoryMaps, I have noticed that the Attribution button (i) does not have accessible text (please correct me if I am wrong). When a screen reader encounters the button it is identified only as "button". Adding the purpose of the button would be extremely helpful to screen reader users and other assistive technology users. Without accessible text, we cannot use the Attribution feature in our StoryMaps.

I am a Federal employee and we are required to meet Section 508 and WCAG standards. This relates to WCAG 2.1 Success Criterion 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context).

For reference:

6 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are already tracking this issue and and have some accessibility improvements planned for Q3 when we will take care of this.

AimeeStephens

That's great news!

Thank you for letting me know.

ShanaCrosson2

Thanks for this post. I'm happy to hear the news it's on the way!

AimeeStephens

@OwenGeo it looks like this has been done. Thank you for all the accessibility improvements. Your team is doing a great job.

OwenGeo

@AimeeStephens -- Yes, sorry for not updating the idea, but this was added in our Oct 5, 2022 release. Here are the release notes: Release notes—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented