Add a splash screen option to StoryMaps

12-11-2020 11:17 AM
Labels (1)
GISTeam8
New Contributor II

Allow a splash screen option similar to what exists in Web AppBuilder.

Tags (1)
12 Comments
by Anonymous User

This is a great idea. We are currently building more StoryMaps and would like to add a whole StoryMap splash disclaimer.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

OwenGeo

@GISTeam8 @Anonymous User -- Thanks for posting this idea. Can you provide more information as to why a splash screen is needed for a story and what type of information/formatting would be required (plain text vs. rich text, images, video, etc)? Is there a reason the disclaimer/notes need to be presented as a splash screen rather than added to the beginning of the story?

by Anonymous User

A splash screen hits you right in the face and isn't something public users might pass over if it was just text in a StoryMap.

I think the WAB splash screen is perfectly fine so whatever the format is there would be suitable.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT

Yep, I also agree! We use a work-around to the splash screen for our current story maps but it isn't ideal. We require our developers/authors to use splash screens on public applications (WAB apps) that feature our legal disclaimers and terms of use to the public. Its not uncommon for government agencies to have legal language to share with their users and a splash screen is a great way to do that. 

MundellEarth

Hi @Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT - could you share what your workaround is to add a splash screen for Story Maps? Thanks!

TuckerTeutsch

I also agree that this would be extremely helpful. I am embedding storymaps into websites, which often creates usability issues ( having double scroll bars to scroll through the website and then also the through the storymap). If I was able to have a splashscreen then that would prompt the users to understand the double scroll bar situation and fix the usubility issue. 

SaraHedrick1

I also would really like something like this. Our organization has a Story Map that has insights pages embedded into to it. I've had requests from users for me to add a widget where I could include a short list of instructions for interacting with the embedded objects. I'd also like to be able to put the data disclaimer there. Like the other poster, we are required to include a disclaimer on our products that must be available for reference within the page. It's wordy and although it is necessary, it doesn't really fit well in the Story Map itself. 

LynnBerni

A splash screen and or news banner option would be fantastic!