508 Compliance Checker for Alternative Text

05-07-2021 10:53 AM
Teresa_Blader
Occasional Contributor III

I seem to remember that Cascade Story Map Builder did this. It provided a little notification icon for content that didn't have alternative text, etc. It would be nice to see something like this for StoryMaps. Maybe like a red dot on the Publish button (like Survey123 does) and then when you clicked it, the drop down menu has an item to zoom to or list the content pieces that are missing the alternative text. It doesn't have to prevent from publishing or anything. This would help us as an local government organization appease our policy, analysis, and communications department when encouraging the use of StoryMaps. It would also help me as a creator when I've added a bunch of content blocks and have to go through one by one and make sure I've added alternative text everywhere. 

5 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

OwenGeo

Thanks for this idea, @Teresa_Blader. We've got a few more accessibility features in mind for future updates, and this is one we've already discussed and done a bit of thinking about.

Teresa_Blader

Oh great! Looking forward to it! 😊

ShanaCrosson2

Thanks for posting this idea, Teresa! I heartily support something like this. Of course, I'd love to have Alt text required, but this would be the next best thing. Agreed that it would be a big help for local and state government orgs to get StroryMaps accepted as a platform. It would also be a good way to alert people who don't know about Alt Text to learn what it is. 

Thanks for considering this request!

PeterKnoop

Adding the use case of grading student's StoryMaps in courses for accessibility. In order to include the presence/absence of alt text as part of grading a StoryMap, it would be helpful to have an easy way to determine for how many of the possible locations in their story a student has provided alt text.