Zonal Statistics as Table: Overlapping Polygons: Solution Required

08-09-2011 07:01 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
I'm currently using ArcGIS 10 SP2 on Windows 7 64bit. I'm working on a very large railway alignment design project and need to generate "Average Catchment Slopes" for each watershed. The problem that I have is that the "Zonal Statistics as Table" tool does not process overlapping polygons. It's mentions in the help that if the polygons overlap, that should be processed interactively to overcome this. I haven't been able to find any supporting documentation to achieve this. Just a note, I have over 600 watersheds that I need to process and a manual process will not be possible if I'm to meet my deadline. Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
63 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Esri has added a new tool to the Spatial Analyst Supplemental Tools that works with overlapping polygons. Haven't looked at it yet but I'm sure it's worth a try.

ArcGIS Blog: New Spatial Analyst Supplemental tools, v1.2

Spatial Analyst Supplemental Tools
0 Kudos
ThomasStanley
New Contributor III
I gave Zonal Statistics as Table 2 from v 1.3 a try. It was very easy to use, but it still skips a lot of polygons. (Only 3279 out of 3550 buffers made it into the final table.) It's too bad, because I ran the Model Builder method overnight and it didn't complete.
0 Kudos
SarmisthaChatterjee
Esri Contributor

Thank you for your question and this discussion.
We are happy to announce that, in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 you can now use the Zonal Statistics as Table tool to calculate statistics for overlapping polygon zones. The zonal analysis will be performed for each individual polygon.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are there plans to add this significant enhancement of the tool to ArcMap 10.8? Is it even a possibility?

0 Kudos