Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature

11-22-2016 06:12 AM
SaraNazli
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS 10.3 with access to advances extensions. There is two features that I have (attached): i) grid (fishnet) of 30 meter:

Grid (30*30 M)

and ii) Building footprint:

Building footprint

I am interested in splitting/having the building footprint in each grid-cell:

split

Therefore I have used the Split tool (Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature). However, the process is always terminated:

error

I am interested in having building footprint in each grid-cell. Any tips and hints is highly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you check Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature?

Think Location
SaraNazli
New Contributor II

Thats the one I have used, but ended with error and was terminated...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Have you tried union or intersect?  Not sure what you're after, but when I try intersect this is what the resulting polygon feature class looks like:

If you are interested in your Building area, you should capture the two fields before you intersect with BulidingArea_orig and ShapeArea_Orig.  That way you can proportion what you end up with....

That should just about do it....
SaraNazli
New Contributor II

Correct, I would be interested in the amount of building area wich falls into each grid-cell. However I did not get what you mean by:
"If you are interested in your Building area, you should capture the two fields before you intersect with BulidingArea_orig and ShapeArea_Orig.  That way you can proportion what you end up with...."

I appreciate if you explain it in more details...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You want to see how much of the foot print is within a given cell, right?  I see in your building footprint attribute table

Area_build  and of course

Shape_Area

When you intersect the building footprints with the cells, the resulting Shape_Area of the new feature class can be used to determine the ratio of how much of the each polygon has been affected by the geoprocessing function.

Let's say your original building footprint data looks like this:

Area_Build = 100

Shape_Area = 500

After the intersection, the the resulting Shape_Area is 250. So you have a reduction of 50% (250/500)  Area_build does not update until you use .5* Area_Build.....

That should just about do it....
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

check if Intersect solves your issue. The output feature class will have the attribute of both the input features.

Think Location
0 Kudos