Raster Classification

03-18-2019 10:35 AM
EricEndresen
New Contributor

I have recently flown aerials for our township. Our arborist wants me to do a Tree Canopy Assessment. There is a free toolbox to download. I had to acquire spatial analyst to use the toolbox. I've never worked anywhere that was willing to pay for SA, so I'm a bit out of touch with these things. In the toolbox, the input raster must contain 7 categories it says. This is where I'm stuck and can't find much in the ESRI help. I've only ever used rasters (aerials) for viewing, never manipulating or extracting data. How to I create these categories in the raster. Please forgive my ignorance, never had to so never learned it.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I have not done much image classification, but I believe this is where you should start. Here is a link for you:

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/spatial-analyst/image-classification/image-cla...

Best Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There is a free toolbox to download.

Link? This custom toolbox must have some documentation that came with it so I would start there.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Eric, it sounds to me that you would like to preprocess your raster data so it can be consumed in the custom toolbox you downloaded. Can you be more specific about how you want to preprocess the data? Are you trying to simply reclassify the raster values into new categories, e.g. 255 values into 7 categories? or are you trying to do something advanced that requires image classification?

0 Kudos
SrinivasaRao1
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I have also same question, One of our clients requires Tree Canopy Extraction from High-resolution imagery which was downloaded from online. Please guide us on how to extract Tree Canopy cover from the image through tools, if tools are there which tools, please specify the tools and the process of extraction of Tree Canopy cover.

Please let us know if somebody has a solution to this.

0 Kudos