problems with Raster Calculator

03-20-2012 08:37 AM
grahamlangley-edwards
New Contributor II
Hello, I am attempting to make a simple calculation with the Raster Calculator in ArcMap 10.  I successfully carried out the same exact calculation yesterday using the exact same formula, so not sure what the problem is.  The calculation is: "ndvi_08_06"  > 0.5, which will give me all cell values classified as .5 or greater.  This worked fine yesterday, but when I tried it today on the same dataset it returned this error: "ERROR 000539: Error running expression: rcexec() <type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>: ERROR 010240: Could not save raster dataset to C:\FileLocation\Output\raster5 with output format GRID."  When I went into the Geoprocessing results window and reran the expression form yesterday, it just returned a solid grey result.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Graham
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinBladon
New Contributor II
Hi Graham,

I am wondering if you ever figured out what was causing your error?  I am running Raster Calculator and am receiving the same error message, but don't understand why it is occurring.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
ChristineHarvey
New Contributor
I'm getting the same error message while attempting to do a simple calculation, has anyone found a way to work around this?
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Please check to see if you have any other versions of python installed on your computer ArcGIS version 10 uses python 2.6. This can be checked by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.  If there are other versions of Python, please remove them.  You can run the repair install on ArcGIS 10 once the other version of Python have been removed so that Python 2.6 can be properly installed.

Thank you,
Gayathri A.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
   This worked fine yesterday, but when I tried it today on the same dataset it returned this error: "ERROR 000539: Error running expression: rcexec() <type 'exceptions.RuntimeError'>: ERROR 010240: Could not save raster dataset to C:\FileLocation\Output\raster5 with output format GRID."  When I went into the Geoprocessing results window and reran the expression form yesterday, it just returned a solid grey result.

If you're getting arcpy error messages, I think your python install is probably okay.

I would make sure your scratch workspace (folder "C:\FileLocation\Output") is still there, and writable. If so try deleting all the files and folders in it, in case the workspace is damaged. For example, if there is a abandoned ancillary file that was connected to a grid "raster5", if you try to create a grid with that name, it may fail writing the grid.

By the way, if you're running many raster tools, it's best practice to have the current and scratch workspace both set, and set to the same location.
0 Kudos