Point Density - ERROR 010092

Jump to solution
11-15-2012 01:12 PM
MikeHynes
New Contributor III
Novice user, as you will probably be able to tell, and I am trying to use Point Density to show ridership at bus stops. The ridership data is joined to the bus stop shapefile and displays as expected through the regular symbology options.

When I try to do the point density I get the "ERROR 010092: Invalid output extent" message. I've tried unsuccessfully to make adjustments in the environment but to no avail.

Any tips, hints would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Every stop has a ID so I have joined to that file from an excel file a worksheet with the ID and associated ridership. When setting up the point density options I can get a successful result provided I leave the "Population field" dropdown alone, just displays "NONE" but that just gives me the density of stops as opposed to what I need to display is the ridership

Data types in excel often get read wrong (ie text instead of number or vice versa) and joins can be dicey with Excel links -- so I suggest you copy your stops feature class to a new one so all the data is in a shapefile or gdb feature class. If the data comes across as text you can then add a numeric field and copy it over from the text field.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
When I try to do the point density I get the "ERROR 010092: Invalid output extent" message. I've tried unsuccessfully to make adjustments in the environment but to no avail.

I would look carefully at your point density arguments to make sure they are reasonable (and provide in the right units).

Also make sure you are working in projected coordinates, not geographic (degrees). Although in theory you can project on the fly, for best results, I recommend projecting the data before you run the tool.

If this doesn't help, what is your extent, and what are the arguments you are providing?
0 Kudos
MikeHynes
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response. I'm using NAD_1983_StatePlane_Washington_North_FIPS_4601_Feet for the point data representing the bus stops as well as the road files, county boundary, etc... in use.

Every stop has a ID so I have joined to that file from an excel file a worksheet with the ID and associated ridership. When setting up the point density options I can get a successful result provided I leave the "Population field" dropdown alone, just displays "NONE" but that just gives me the density of stops as opposed to what I need to display is the ridership
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Data types in excel often get read wrong (ie text instead of number or vice versa) and joins can be dicey with Excel links -- so I suggest you copy your stops feature class to a new one so all the data is in a shapefile or gdb feature class. If the data comes across as text you can then add a numeric field and copy it over from the text field.
0 Kudos
MikeHynes
New Contributor III
Thanks for your help. Making the copy worked like a charm! :cool:
0 Kudos