pan-sharpen SPOT-5 (ArcToolbox) - question on values for weight.

02-18-2015 09:51 AM
RayJahncke
New Contributor

I would like to pan-sharpen SPOT-5 imagery using the "Create Pan-sharpened Raster Dataset" Tool, and using the Gram-Schmidt type.

When selecting SPOT 5 as the sensor type, the weights are automatically filled in with values outside of the reference channels.

I had thought that the weights should be applied only to the green and red portions of the spectrum, since that's all what the panchromatic band covers. My question is if this tool is setting the correct parameters. (If not, could someone please help me with the correct parameters.)

Thank you,

Ray

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The help file give the options used and some suggested weights for some image sources.  Perhaps the literature in the help is what you are after

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ray,

This is the beauty of Gram-Schmidt method. You can choose the sensor type, which will set the appropriate band weights.

And the band weights are always defined for the blue, green, red and IR (if present) bands of MSS sensor, irrespective of the spectral range of the Panchromatic band.

So, the parameters with the sensor-type (if known) is the most appropriate one.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
RayJahncke
New Contributor

Thanks so much Dan and Jay. I'm going ahead with the Gram-Schmidt method though clearly I have to look into the process in more detail.

I think then that I can make the assumption that when the tool lists red, green, blue & near infrared, the algorithm knows that the image is really green, red, near infrared & shortwave infrared (I hope).

0 Kudos