Need a reclassify tool for vector polygons

11-13-2011 09:29 AM
ChrisPlano
New Contributor II
I am working with a polygon layer and need to classify three different fields by quartile based on the value for each record.  My field values range from integers to very long decimal numbers. 

Essentially what I want to do is create a new, corresponding field for each of the three existing fields.  Each record in the new field will have the values 1, 2, 3, or 4 to indicate the quartile in which the existing value fell.

Thanks for any suggestions!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisChutter
New Contributor
Agreed, trying to do basically the same thing.
0 Kudos
ChrisPlano
New Contributor II
I found that you can use python scripting to do this:

def calculate(x):
  if x <= 0.215316:
    return 1
  elif x <= 0.645051:
    return 2
  elif x <= 1.495379:
    return 3
  elif x <= 11.260259:
    return 4
  else:
    return 0

calculate(!NEW FIELD!)

Define your breaks using the 'elif' lines and define the quartiles using the 'return' lines.  The top bit should go into the top box and the bottom line should go into the bottom box in the calculate field dialog box.

Let me know if this is unclear.
0 Kudos
ChrisPlano
New Contributor II
I should say that I used the symbology tab in the layer properties to determine where my breaks were.  Say you want 4 classes with an equal number of values, and it should give you the breaks for quartiles.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would consider the ideas page as someone has discussed this request.  Adding more points to this post will raise the awareness of the request to the decision makers.
0 Kudos
RobertTrotter
New Contributor III

I have also had the same issue.  A Reclassify tool like the one available for rasters would be great (maybe re-using the RemapValue and RemapTable functionality?).

0 Kudos