Select to view content in your preferred language

My flowlines all go uphill, why?

Jump to solution
10-27-2016 01:59 PM
HillaryHudson
New Contributor II

I have created a set of flowlines using the Fill, Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, and Reclass tools (in that order) from the spatial analyst toolbox in 10.3.1. I then converted them to polylines from the original raster data. When I looked at my flow directions in the vector data, they were all going uphill. I would like some help trying to figure out what I did wrong. Thank you.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
HillaryHudson
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, even a very small subset of my LiDAR data is too small to send. Do you have an ftp site I can use? I do not have one I can use.

0 Kudos
HillaryHudson
New Contributor II

Neeraj, I responded to your request for data last Friday in an email. My email server shows that it was sent. Have you been able to have a look at it? I communicated with you via regular email rather then through this thread since I do not see a way to attach file from this interface.

0 Kudos
HillaryHudson
New Contributor II

I just got an email 5 minutes ago saying that my message was undeliverable due to the file size. I am not sure why it took almost a week to get that message....I will try splitting the data up and resending. I don't think I could make the subset any smaller and still have it be useful.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hillary,

No I haven't received any emails from you. Unfortunately I do not have access to an ftp site. You could try Google Drive maybe?

As I has mentioned earlier, a way to send me a small raster (few MBs) would be to:

"Could you please clip(Extract by mask) the flow direction output raster & input elevation raster, for a region where you can see that it is backwards? If you could send that, it might be sufficient enough for me to reproduce what you are seeing."

0 Kudos
HillaryHudson
New Contributor II

Thanks to Neeraj who helped find the ultimate solution to my issue! I should have been using the Stream to Feature tool to convert my raster flowlines to vector flowlines. What caused the flowlines to have a strange output (where they were flowing uphill) was that I had used the Raster to Polyline tool which, as it turns out, is not a good choice for creating flowlines.