Select to view content in your preferred language

listing elevations from a dem

01-27-2015 07:30 AM
MikeHenson
Regular Contributor

I was sucessfully able to import a dem of a county that I needed. I can't figure out how to just display, or track elevations across the map. Can anyone help me with that?  Not needing to extract any data, just need to read elevatinons Thanks

MKH

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JornSeubers
New Contributor

You should be able to use the "info" tool (the blue "i" pointer) on the DEM to return the value of individual pixels to you.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Regular Contributor

thanks Jorn....I see that now! I appreciate it very much. Any idea how I would get that to display in feet instead of meters when I do an "ID" on it? THanks

MKH

0 Kudos
JornSeubers
New Contributor

If your DEM is in meters, I think you will have to recalculate the values in the raster. Not such a difficult thing, with Raster Calculator just divide the whole thing by 3.28 to create a new raster layer in feet.

At least, that's what I would do.

You can also change the basic measurement units of your GIS project at View -> Data Frame Properties -> General, but I am pretty sure it will not change the pixel values of your DEM for you.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another option if you have either the Spatial Analyst Extension or the 3D Analyst Extension is to derive contours so you can get a visual sense of the elevations. 

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos