How to delete a custom Band Combination

Jump to solution
08-25-2022 08:24 PM
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

How do you delete a Custom Band Combination, as defined for image rendering once you have one?

MicZatorsky_AEC_0-1661483936482.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Weird.  Looks like any user-named custom band combo gets hardwired into the aprx.  You could create a new, clean aprx and drag layers across - will only have the band default options.  But not sure if there is an easy way for a user to 'reset' that menu from inside Pro.

You could hack the aprx - in the GISProject.xml component there is a RasterBandCombination tag that holds any custom band combinations.  Delete them there and they're gone from the menu once you reopen.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Weird.  Looks like any user-named custom band combo gets hardwired into the aprx.  You could create a new, clean aprx and drag layers across - will only have the band default options.  But not sure if there is an easy way for a user to 'reset' that menu from inside Pro.

You could hack the aprx - in the GISProject.xml component there is a RasterBandCombination tag that holds any custom band combinations.  Delete them there and they're gone from the menu once you reopen.

MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

Yep, that worked.  Thanks John.

BrentRogan
New Contributor III

Right click on the band combination you want to delete and select remove - is this what you wanted to do?

BrentRogan_1-1668935371900.png

BrentRogan_0-1668935366364.png

0 Kudos
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

huh - 'Remove' doesn't pop up for me with right-click.  Might be Pro version dependent (am on 3.0.2).

GYarleque
New Contributor II

@JohnWatt I am also having a similar issue, but I have Pro 3.0.2 and the remove option is not available. Is there any other way how to delete the custom band combination? Also, could you please explain how to hack the aprx - in the GISProject.xml component? Thank you!

0 Kudos
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hi again. Just discovered that the 'remove' option popped up once my aprx was saved, closed and reopened. Might be easier than going spelunking in a aprx 🙂

JohnWatt_3-1676946225776.png

JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hia.  Sorry - it's summer down-under so I went on holiday 😁

This is a bug which I imagine will get sorted in the next patch.  I'll double check if it's been reported. But in the meantime:

The custom band combination gets saved into the .aprx file - which is basically a .zip compressed file containing a lot of other files, mainly xml and json. To find/edit/delete the custom band combo, first back up the aprx in case we scramble something by accident. Then rename it with a ".zip" extension instead of .aprx. Then, inside the .zip file - look for a file called "GISProject". And inside *that* file, using notepad or your favorite text viewer, search for a string called "RasterBandCombination".  You'll spot your custom band combination in a confusing looking string (eg below between two semicolons) and there it can then be deleted.  You'll then need to save, rezip and rename back to .aprx.  Simple 😬

JohnWatt_2-1676945236281.png

0 Kudos