Gaps in watershed boundary delineation using watershed tool

Jump to solution
04-04-2017 10:17 AM
JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

I am trying to delineate the watershed boundaries for depressions. I created a raster from the depression polygons and used Arc's flow direction tool as inputs in the Spatial Analyst watershed tool. However, there are gaps in the watersheds where there intuitively should not be. I've attached an image of an example. The blue represents the depression polygons, the other colours represent the watershed boundaries, it's underlain by flow direction output. I'm not sure why that whole hill slope is not delineated as a part of the middle depression's watershed.

This is in the prairies so the relief is pretty subtle (this is using vertical exaggeration of 5 in ArcScene). I'm wondering if these gaps are because the flow direction tool uses a D8 flow routing. Any tips?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And this is after you ran Sink with the suggestion to use the results to assess sink depth (see how it works ...) which can then be used in the .,..Zonal Fill or the Fill... tools.  D8 is obviously highly localized and obviously filling sinks can lead to more sinks that need filling etc.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

And this is after you ran Sink with the suggestion to use the results to assess sink depth (see how it works ...) which can then be used in the .,..Zonal Fill or the Fill... tools.  D8 is obviously highly localized and obviously filling sinks can lead to more sinks that need filling etc.

JeremyKiss1
New Contributor II

This worked, thanks! I needed to define a small enough fill value to maintain the actual depressions.

Cheers,

Jeremy 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked

0 Kudos