Extract Multi Values to Points Internal error in Sample: %s

Jump to solution
05-30-2022 08:04 AM
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Hello!

This is a copy of a question I posed in ArcGISPro Questions, but it may be a better fit to this board.

I am running the Extract Multi Values to Points tool within arcpy Notebook in ArcGIS Pro v2.8.3 to extract 58 rasters to millions of points, and receiving the following error message after about 6 minutes: 

ExecuteError: ERROR 010555: Internal error in Sample: %s.
Failed to execute (ExtractMultiValuesToPoints).

Is it just the large amount of data that I am working with, thus I should reduce the number of raster values extracted per run of the tool? I have read several posts about this message and have not found any answers to solve my problem. The spatial reference projections are all the same (GCS_WGS_1984).

Any ideas unto how to get this tool to run would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you would like further information. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Yes, it was running fine with a smaller subset of rasters and points! But alas, I ended up converting the input point shapefile to feature class saved to a local geodatabase, as suggested in a reply of a different post, and it runs now for my smallest batch of large points without errors! 

However, I try with more points and ArcGIS quits out on me. Do you have any solution for that other than further reducing my number of points to per ExtractMultiValuesToPoints run?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try the process with one raster and a much smaller number of points to rule out issues with the data and/or process?

... sort of retired...
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Yes, it was running fine with a smaller subset of rasters and points! But alas, I ended up converting the input point shapefile to feature class saved to a local geodatabase, as suggested in a reply of a different post, and it runs now for my smallest batch of large points without errors! 

However, I try with more points and ArcGIS quits out on me. Do you have any solution for that other than further reducing my number of points to per ExtractMultiValuesToPoints run?

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

@E_haus 

I am happy to hear that you have had some successes.  You are still having issues with larger data?

Are you able to share your code, the input shapefile and a single raster?  I can have a look on my end? 

You can attach up to 9MB size here otherwise direct message me and I can provide you a location to copy data. 

Thank you,

-Ryan

0 Kudos
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Dear Ryan, 

Thank you for your response! It looks like restarting ArcGIS after the crash did the trick, but it is still running, so I will definitely let you know and share my code/data for your access if there are remaining issues due to data size or otherwise. 

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Excellent...  Just as a note I ran a test creating Random Points (n=1,000,000)  with FGDB feature class and a single Raster of the continental USA successfully in ArcGIS Pro.  Obviously its not the same data (or system) but the test did run successfully rather quickly (< 1 min).

0 Kudos
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Ryan, thank you for running this test! To compare, my smallest large run of this was with a 11,440,000 point feature class and 58 global 1-km resolution rasters which only took 14 minutes! The addition of more input points took up to 2.5 hours but I think that this is reasonable for my analysis. Thank you again very much.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

check your system to see if you are running out of memory or something that simple

... sort of retired...
E_haus
by
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for your advice! I will check out the system. 

0 Kudos