Extract Multi Values to Points Error: 000546

01-07-2019 02:19 PM
RussellNasrallah1
New Contributor

Hello All, 
I am trying to project raster elevations onto transects of points from 2-3 different DEMs which I will provide the details to below. The issue I'm having is I keep getting the following error:

Executing: ExtractMultiValuesToPoints OI_Points_1m_sandy_RP "20121011__clip.tif F201210111;fmp_SPM_clip_RP.tif fmp_SPM_cl" BILINEAR
Start Time: Mon Jan 07 16:37:18 2019
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
("esri.Envelope") All geometries involved in this operation must have the same spatial reference.
ERROR 000546: Input spatial references do not match.
Failed to execute (ExtractMultiValuesToPoints).
Failed at Mon Jan 07 16:37:18 2019 (Elapsed Time: 0.05 seconds)

I have tried removing DEMs until the tool will run and its effective only on the 20121011__clip.tif DEM. 
Things I have tried:
I have attempted to reproject my point shapefile, and all 3 DEMS into the same XY coordinate systems, but I am still running into the same issue. This may be perhaps due to my shotty ArcGIS work causing me troubles I can't identify, but I've checked out all the obvious things I might be able to fix. I would love to get this tool to run with all 3 DEMs, but only the 20121011... DEM and the fmp... DEM. 

20121011__clip.tif DEM:
NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200
Meter (1.000000)

D_North_American_1983

fmp_SPM_clip_RP.tif DEM:

NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200
Meter (1.000000)

D_North_American_1983

OI_Points_1m_sandy_RP Shapefile:

Projected Coordinate System: NAD_1983_StatePlane_North_Carolina_FIPS_3200
Projection: Lambert_Conformal_Conic
False_Easting: 609601.22000000
False_Northing: 0.00000000
Central_Meridian: -79.00000000
Standard_Parallel_1: 34.33333333
Standard_Parallel_2: 36.16666667
Latitude_Of_Origin: 33.75000000
Linear Unit: Meter

Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983
Datum: D_North_American_1983
Prime Meridian: Greenwich
Angular Unit: Degree

Let me know if additional information is required! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

checking the coordinate system is one thing, but... actually looking at each layer's properties to ensure that the extents make sense and actually overlap is more useful.  If can identify cases where 'points' that appear to overlap on a map actually don't because one or more coordinate systems have been 'defined' and not 'projected.

Worth a check before you start Defining and Projecting without a plan

0 Kudos
RussellNasrallah1
New Contributor

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by checking a coordinate system is 'defined' as well as 'projected'. I will try and look into this more!

Coordinate systems and projects are something I always struggle with when working with GIS data, so its no surprise that they're giving me trouble now. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Russell,

Define Projection and Project gave me endless headaches when I started too! To further clarify, we "define" a projection when the spatial reference of a dataset is unknown or undefined (or sometimes if it's incorrect). You can tell if your data has an unknown or undefined because there's a warning that pops up when you add the data to a map telling you so. You can also tell by right-clicking on the dataset and looking at the properties. It'll say "Unknown" instead of having a spatial reference defined. Or if it's incorrect, your data will show up in the wrong place!

There's a tool for defining the spatial reference of a dataset called "Define Projection" or the spatial reference can be defined through the properties. Rasters are always a little different, so there's some documentation on how to handle them as well:

Define Projection—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Defining or modifying a raster's coordinate system—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Raster coordinate systems—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If we want to actually change the spatial reference of a dataset (i.e. it already had a spatial reference, we just need to change it), we use the Project tool for shapefiles and feature classes and Project Raster tool for rasters:

Project—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Project Raster—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Here's a really great blog that goes through the difference between defining a projection and projecting:

ArcGIS Projections: Define Projection and Project 

Hopefully that helps for this project and for future endeavors!

-Lauren

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
WeiYing1
Esri Contributor

Hi Russell, what version of ArcGIS software are you using? Earlier there was a bug of this tool when multiple input dataset have different coordinate system. But from your description, you've tried re-project all data to same spatial reference. 

Can you  contact me at wying@esri.com to have detail discussion? It would be better that if you can provide the data,which will help for investigating.I want to help narrow down the issue and also offer work round if necessary.

Actually, we've re-engineered the tool in recent build, hopefully your problem is solved if is truly a bug. 

0 Kudos