Euclidean Distance on polygon shapefile giving errors with default values

11-06-2019 11:19 PM
France
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have ArcMap 10.3 and it is up to date.  I have the following in an .mxd:

• "State" layer of California - one polygon with a handful of attributes
  • "Protected Areas" layer - one polygon for protected land from USGS which I dissolved all boundaries
  • "Elevation" layer - DEM raster from USGS

My Environment is set to the following:

• Output Coordinate System = Same as Display
  • Processing Extent = Same as Layer State
  • Raster Analysis Settings
    • Cell Size = Same as elevation
    • Mask = State

Attached is the map of California with the Protected Areas layer, my Euclidean Distance dialog box and the error.

I'm trying to run Euclidean Distance from Spatial Analyst (it is turned on) but I'm getting errors and I don't know why.  I tried different Maximum Distances and Output Cell Sizes but didn't touch Output Direction (didn't see how that could help).  When Output Cell Size was set to 5 and 1, I just got big blocks of color.  When I used the default Output Cell Size 30 and any higher numbers, I got nothing on the map and the error (see attached).

I also tried running Euclidean Distance on the "Protected Areas" layer that didn't have dissolved boundaries (4200+ polygons) and ArcMap gave the same error.

What I'd like is the Euclidean Distance to return a result and have the bands of color be pretty narrow because there's lots of little patches of protected land.  Any help would be appreciated!  Many thanks in advance.

\Frances

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Double check using the layer properties that all data is in the same projected coordinate system

France
by
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

My state layer is GCS_WGS_1984 but both my elevation and Protected Areas layer is GCS_NorthAmerican_1983.  I thought that since ArcMap convert on the fly that it would be okay?  Does this mean I find a state layer in GCS_NorthAmerican_1983 to make Euclidean Distance work?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
France
by
New Contributor III

Hi Neil,

I changed my state layer from "GCS_WGS_1984" to "GCS_North_American_1983" to match the GCS on the Protected Areas and elevation layers and the Euclidean Distance function worked. 

Both the Protected Areas and elevation layers had projections.  The state layer didn't have a projection but it didn't seem to matter.

Thanks for your help!  My project is moving along again!

0 Kudos