DEM Artefacts

03-05-2015 12:49 PM
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III

I have a collection of data points from which I am trying to generate a DEM and, ultimately, a hillshade for use as a backdrop in a map. Whichever way I try to process it (using Topo to Raster) I get artefacts where the points are located. See the attached example:Capture2.JPG

Any ideas what might be causing this?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

You may want to use a different surface creation method than "Topo to Raster".

Off the top of my head, Inverse Distance-Weighted (IDW) may work out better as a surface creation for then creating a hillshade.

Also, if I remember correctly, Natural Neighbors is the one that makes high points more extreme than in real life (much like the result you posted), so avoid that one.

Additionally, note that the number and distribution of your input points can factor into your results too, so you may have to experiment with several methods to see which works best considering your available data.

Surface creation and analysis

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

PaulHeersink
New Contributor III

Well, I tried your suggestion and the result is worse than the Topo to Raster result. See below.

Capture3.JPG

I'll be trying some of the other interpolation methods and getting back to you on my success (or lack thereof).

0 Kudos
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III

Kriging (top), Natural Neighbour (middle) and Spline (bottom) are not much better.

kriging.JPG

NaturalNeighbour.JPG

spline.JPG

0 Kudos
OskarKarlsson1
New Contributor

Have you tired creating a TIN or Terrain with those points and then transforming it into a DEM? Are your points dense enough? Maybe you dont have enough to come with a proper result

0 Kudos
PaulHeersink
New Contributor III

Oskar - I have tried creating a TIN. The TIN looks fine but converting that to a DEM results in an entirely different set of artefacts, one that appears to have many of the single cells outlined.

Most of the elevation points are about 195 m apart with other points added in along streamlines. I am contacting the original creator of the data to find out what process they use and what issues they've come across.

0 Kudos
OskarKarlsson1
New Contributor

Its gotta be something on the data then...Are the points for the elevation and the streamlines in the same units?

0 Kudos
BenLeslie1
Occasional Contributor III

I too get artefacts in my DEMs when using natual neighbours.  I have two solutions:

1. Create the DEM at a lower resolution and then resample to a higher res.

2. Use LINEAR interpolation instead.

Neither is ideal, 1 can take a few goes to find the low res that eliminates artefacts so I use 2 - fortunately for me this is adequate.

RajinderNagi
Esri Contributor

You may want to use Bilinear or cubic re-sampling method.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rajinder... as an addendum to your post could you check your resources and see if this article has been updated for ArcMap 10.x, the reference only goes to 9.3 but I would assume that the situation is the same

29127 - Why are there raster artifacts visible in hillshade results when something is performed on a...