Comparison of two rasters

11-17-2021 08:58 AM
kkober16
New Contributor

Hello, this should be a question asked many times, but I was unable to find a post for this. 

I have a dataset which includes the spatial distribution of a species, and the spatial distribution of monitoring effort of this species. They are provided on a grid of ICES rectangles, so a bit like a very coarse raster.

My question is: I would like to understand if the distribution of the monitoring is similar to the distribution of the species, as in does most monitoring effort takes place where we have highest densities of the species. Because unit, range of values etc. is different between species distribution and monitoring, the comparison should really focus on their relative spatial distribution alone. 

I am sure this subject must be covered by books on spatial analysis, but I am unable to find something online, presumably I am not looking for the right key words. 

Does anybody has a suggestion what the classic key words are for this type of analysis, or  if there is something readily available in ArcGIS (Info) I would be able to use. 

So far my thinking is to normalise both datasets, and then, in each grid cell, subtract one from the other. But how I would then use this in a meaningful way still alludes me. 

I'd be very grateful for any suggestion. Thank you!

Kerstin

0 Kudos
0 Replies