ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 - Extract Multi Values To Points behaviour!

03-05-2015 05:49 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am currently working with SRTM v3 datasets and I am confused with the behaviour of the Spatial Analyst Tools -> Extraction -> Extract Multi Values To Points (see attached).

If I run the tool on a mosaicked STRM raster, the extracted values are correct and match to the raster (see attached in ArcMap, in this example 7 meters height). However, if I run the same tool with a single STRM v3 tile (from USGS Earth Explorer), I got 51 meters which is wrong!

Why would the Extract Multi Values To Points work well with a mosaic raster made from a batch of SRTM tiles when it doesn't work with the individual tiles? Weird?

Also, If I use the Extract Values to Points tool, I get the correct results, but it creates an output feature class every time you run the tool and if I was processing tons of tiles, it would create tons of new feature classes...

Any help?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LisaTurner
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Vincent,

I'm probably not the right person to comment, but your questions had me curious, so I searched through the help and found an older snippet. ArcGIS Desktop No clue if this will help answer your question or not, but it does mention that the mosaic form can help take care of conversion issues. I don't know for certain, but maybe the wrong answer of 51 meters is really 51 feet.

0 Kudos