ArcGIS Basic or Standard?

Jump to solution
02-18-2014 12:43 PM
deleted-user--Gh0RMn-Njhl
New Contributor
At the Montserrat Volcano Observatory, we are still using ArcGIS 9.3. I have been asked to investigate upgrading from ArcView 9.3 license (with 3D and Spatial analyst extensions) to ArcGIS 10.2.1 (with same extensions), but have a couple questions that need clarifying before deciding which of the new licenses is appropriate.

Presently, we use ArcView 9.3 for geologic mapping; importing GPS data, creating/editing shapfiles and overlaying them on various basemaps, e.g., satellite images or aerial photographs. In addition, we also import, modify and create elevation models from point cloud data (e.g., ascii files, Lidar/photogrammetry data and meshes/TINs). These are then used for calculating volume changes as a result of volcanic activity. All of this data is presently stored in a somewhat logical folder structure on a Windows PC and used in scientific publications and educational/outreach material which sometimes involves creating KML files. Normal, only one person is working on the data (me) and 1 or 2 others use the data for making maps.

I am currently running the 10.2.1 trial, but this is for the Advanced version and does not show me the limitations of the Basic or Standard versions. I would like to know:

1. Is it recommended to store data inside geodatabases? (I can read the folder structure and use the data it contains in 10.2.1 without a problem)

2. If answer to above is yes, is the Standard version (which I am favouring at the moment) appropriate (i.e. not overkill), given my described use of ArcView 9.3?

Thanks,

Adam
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Adam,

You need to move beyond ShapeFile based GIS and start using a GeoDataBase--Esri's File GDB are used extensively in ArcGIS for Desktop geoprocessing, so arguments for adopting their use to replace Esri ShapeFile is compelling.

But, you'll need to be on ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 Standard to do any substantive maintenance of your File GeoDataBase(s) and related feature topology.

See pgs 27-31 of the attached Esri PDF (or download here: ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop Functionality Matrix PDF).

Stuart

View solution in original post

5 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Adam,

You need to move beyond ShapeFile based GIS and start using a GeoDataBase--Esri's File GDB are used extensively in ArcGIS for Desktop geoprocessing, so arguments for adopting their use to replace Esri ShapeFile is compelling.

But, you'll need to be on ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 Standard to do any substantive maintenance of your File GeoDataBase(s) and related feature topology.

See pgs 27-31 of the attached Esri PDF (or download here: ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop Functionality Matrix PDF).

Stuart
New Contributor
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the information. I had browsed through that functionality matrix, but got a little "lost " in it. However, your comments have pretty much confirmed my thinking.

Adam
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
At a minimum I would suggest the Standard Version.  It is what was called ArcEditor.    You will find you have a lot more processes available to you than with the Basic Version. 

And, as stated previously you would strongly want to consider getting away from ShapeFiles and progressing into a Geodatabase.

There are a LOT more processes available to you now with 10.2 than were there with 9.3 and you may want to explore those different processes as not all of them are available with Standard.  As well as some of the new extensions.

At the Montserrat Volcano Observatory, we are still using ArcGIS 9.3. I have been asked to investigate upgrading from ArcView 9.3 license (with 3D and Spatial analyst extensions) to ArcGIS 10.2.1 (with same extensions), but have a couple questions that need clarifying before deciding which of the new licenses is appropriate.

Presently, we use ArcView 9.3 for geologic mapping; importing GPS data, creating/editing shapfiles and overlaying them on various basemaps, e.g., satellite images or aerial photographs. In addition, we also import, modify and create elevation models from point cloud data (e.g., ascii files, Lidar/photogrammetry data and meshes/TINs). These are then used for calculating volume changes as a result of volcanic activity. All of this data is presently stored in a somewhat logical folder structure on a Windows PC and used in scientific publications and educational/outreach material which sometimes involves creating KML files. Normal, only one person is working on the data (me) and 1 or 2 others use the data for making maps.

I am currently running the 10.2.1 trial, but this is for the Advanced version and does not show me the limitations of the Basic or Standard versions. I would like to know:

1. Is it recommended to store data inside geodatabases? (I can read the folder structure and use the data it contains in 10.2.1 without a problem)

2. If answer to above is yes, is the Standard version (which I am favouring at the moment) appropriate (i.e. not overkill), given my described use of ArcView 9.3?

Thanks,

Adam
JohnPlunkett1
New Contributor III
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/free-trial

This link will give you access to a trial version of V10.2.1 Advanced
Will give you a chance to use all the features.

(You will notice in the help for the Relevant Geoprocessing tools that you might use, what version they are available in.) Basic Standard or Advanced

As well as the matrix attached previously.
0 Kudos
New Contributor
Thanks for the extra information. I'm using the trial version and have noticed the extra information in the tool tips. At present, I still think Standard is more than enough for our needs, partly because of the cost having received a quote.
0 Kudos