Adding .asc raster files to a map

12-24-2019 08:36 PM
France
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm using .asc raster files for the first time and after trying a bunch of things, I have no clue how to get that into my map. 

I have a shapefile of Oahu called "Coastline" (polygon file of Oahu with GCS WGS83) and want to add a bathymetry layer (.asc file, UTM Projection Zone 4N, Ellipsoid WGS84) to the map.  I don't seem to be adding the .asc file correctly. 

After adding the Coastline file, I run Arc Toolbox > ASCII to Raster on the .asc file to add bathymetry.  Both the coastline and the bathymetry images disappear.  When I click "Full Extent", I can locate the ASCII to Raster image (it's really tiny), zoom to it but the Coastline layer is gone.  It's nowhere to be found in my data frame.  I tried projecting the Coastline layer to UTM before converting ascii to raster on the .asc file but that didn't work either.

Both layers are attached as zip files along with my ArcMap 10.3.1 screenshots.  The kaneohe_bathy_4m.zip has a .jpg which shows the UTM projection information.

Can someone share the steps I should follow to use .asc files correctly with my Coastline layer? 

Many thanks,

Frances

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since you are trying to get this to work in older software, you should check the Support site to see if errors were solved in subsequent versions.  Rarely, are 'fixes' backported

https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=ascii%20to%20raster&content-type=Bugs

Is the list of bugs associated with ASCII to Raster, in no particular order.  You might have to check "Define Projection" to see if there is a nexus between the two.

0 Kudos
France
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for replying Dan.  I'll remember to check the bug list in the future. 

I found this when I first saw that I had .grd files: .GRD and .GRC files now supported in ArcGIS 10.1 and so didn't expect the issue with 10.3.  I remember getting an error dialog box about disk space being a bit small for ArcMap's comfort and that could have played into the whole thing.  ArcMap 10.3 was still performing well on maps with no raster layers so I wanted to finish up all my maps before upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, which I'm doing this weekend and will free up space at the same time.  

Thanks for your comments, Dan.  You, along with everyone else on these forums, are much appreciated!

0 Kudos