Definition of the Demographic Variable "Employees"

12-31-2012 05:24 AM
EugeneBoyd
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am in search of a clear & detailed definition of the demographic variable "employees" found on the Business Summary report.  Any information & insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulVastag
New Contributor III
Based on the "2010 Methodology Statement: Esri Data�??Business Locations and Business Summary" whitepaper, I believe the "Employees" variable (G01_TotEmp) in the 2010/2015 ESRI Demographic data is an aggregation or "roll-up" by geographies of the "Employee Count"  (NUMBER_EMP) field in the InfoGroup business points.  Likewise with the Number of Businesses variables. 

[INDENT]"Esri uses the geographic codes to report business data for summary areas such as states, counties, census tracts, and block groups. Aggregations by ZIP Codes are created from the business database. ZIP Codes from Infogroup may differ from the residential ZIP Codes in the Esri® demographic databases because Infogroup includes business-only ZIP Codes that are unique to a particular establishment and include no residential area. The coordinates of each business are used to assign it to a user-defined polygon"[/INDENT]

I'm very disappointed that these Business Summary variables were excluded from ESRI's 2011/2016 demographic data.  Supposedly they will be included in the 2012/2017 data.

Paul Vastag
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Eugene/Paul,

I double checked and can 100% confirm that total employees is back in the BA10.1 2012 data update release.  Though it is not available in the locally installed 2011 data release one can still access it via the Online Data option in tools like Append Data.

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
KristenCarroll
New Contributor III
Based on the "2010 Methodology Statement: Esri Data�??Business Locations and Business Summary" whitepaper, I believe the "Employees" variable (G01_TotEmp) in the 2010/2015 ESRI Demographic data is an aggregation or "roll-up" by geographies of the "Employee Count"  (NUMBER_EMP) field in the InfoGroup business points.  Likewise with the Number of Businesses variables. 

[INDENT]"Esri uses the geographic codes to report business data for summary areas such as states, counties, census tracts, and block groups. Aggregations by ZIP Codes are created from the business database. ZIP Codes from Infogroup may differ from the residential ZIP Codes in the Esri® demographic databases because Infogroup includes business-only ZIP Codes that are unique to a particular establishment and include no residential area. The coordinates of each business are used to assign it to a user-defined polygon"[/INDENT]

I'm very disappointed that these Business Summary variables were excluded from ESRI's 2011/2016 demographic data.  Supposedly they will be included in the 2012/2017 data.

Paul Vastag

Hi Paul,
Until you do get your 2012/2017 updates, you can access this variable (and a wealth of others) via the online option.  I've created a short video showing the steps to do this:  http://screencast.com/t/PUuv0rr5i4D.

As well, Lucy Guerra had put together a blog and video some time back showing these same steps:

Blog:  http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2011/12/19/how-to-get-the-20112016-esri-updates-in-business-analys... 
Video: http://video.arcgis.com/watch/322/online-access-in-business-analyst

If your Global Username isn't yet connected to BA Desktop, you'll need to first email ba_onlineaccess@esri.com with your customer number, requesting that this be configured. 

Once done, you can access 1990, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, ACS as well as *MPI and *CEX data, (*depending on your license level).

Best Regards,

Kristen C.
Esri Support Services
888-377-4575
0 Kudos