Closest Facility: Can I project the routes to calculate the distance?

11-16-2012 12:50 PM
MengyaoZhang
New Contributor
In the Network Analyst Extension, I calculated routes using the 'Closest Facility Solver' from block centroids to the nearest farmer's market. I used the network dataset that comes with the Business Analyst. Since the network dataset is not projected, I cannot get the length of the routes in feet/meter units. I can project the routes and get the length in linear units. Is this the right way to calculate the length of the routes?

Thanks,

Mengyao
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KristenCarroll
New Contributor III
In the Network Analyst Extension, I calculated routes using the 'Closest Facility Solver' from block centroids to the nearest farmer's market. I used the network dataset that comes with the Business Analyst. Since the network dataset is not projected, I cannot get the length of the routes in feet/meter units. I can project the routes and get the length in linear units. Is this the right way to calculate the length of the routes?

Thanks,

Mengyao

Hi Menyao,
You can export out your network dataset using the option to 'Use the same coordinate system as: 'the data frame' and choose yes to add the layer back to the table of contents.  This should put your network dataset into WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.  The block centroid layer should already be in this projection, but you can double check to be sure.  Once you have both layers in the same projection, you should be able to calculate the length in linear units.

Best Regards,

Kristen C.
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos