BA 10 USA Geocoding Service reference data location?

01-26-2011 06:50 AM
PeterRothfuss
New Contributor
Hello--

After a new default install of BA 10 Desktop- on my first attempt at geocoding- I found that I need to repair (in order to re-build) my USA Geocoding Service in order to use it- as crazy as that sounds.

When I start the repair process, I cannot seem to find the reference data needed to repair each one of the locators (Address Points, Street Addresses, CityState, and ZIP). Does anyone know the default path to the approrpriate datasets for these locators? I cannot seem to find the necessary feature classes.

Many thanks!

Pete

Peter M Rothfuss
0 Kudos
6 Replies
EvanCaldwell1
New Contributor III
You should find them in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\Data\USA Geocoding Service

-Evan Caldwell
0 Kudos
PeterRothfuss
New Contributor
Thanks, Evan!

That's where I thought they should reside, but when I navigate to that folder during the locator repair process, BA does not seem to find any feature classes it likes. In fact, I do not see any GDBs, SDCs, SHPs, etc. when I examine the folder (see attached screenshot). I even went back to the original BA installation thumb drive, and the files in that USA Geocoding Service folder looks exactly like the one I attached.

It's got me stumped- thanks again for your time!

Pete
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Pete,

Actually the Business Analyst 10 locators can not be repaired in that manner so any time that message is encountered you should simply cancel out of it.

Oft times an input table can cause Store/Customer to fail with this error.  First thing to troubleshoot would be to close and then open the default Business Analyst.mxd and then go to Store Setup>Create New>Tabular Data>in a file on your computer and navigate to the sf_stores.dbf located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\Datasets\Tutorial and see if you receiving the same 'geocoding dataset is damaged' message.

If sf_stores.dbf is successful then the culprit is your specific table.  If sf_stores.dbf brings up the same error then the issue could be with the locators.  If you can let me know what happens I will explain what to do next.

Also one other question which is what operating are currently running?

Regards,

jason r.
0 Kudos
PeterRothfuss
New Contributor
Hi Jason--

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortuantely, I followed your instructions to load the sf_stores.dbf file and received the attached error. I am running XP SP3.

I appreciate your help in trying to diagnose this issue.

Pete
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Pete,

Considering you are on Windows XP if you right click on the Block Group layer in the Demographic Layer group layer and then select to 'open attribute table' and let me know if the table opens normally or if it is blank.  There is a known issue with BA10 and WinXP that affects some XP users and one of the symptoms can effect geocoding operations.  So if it is blank let me know otherwise proceed with the next paragraph.  If it is blank there is a workaround for this that I can detail for you.

You might try re-copying the contents of 'USA Geocoding Service Full' folder from the USB install media to the local drive.

Copy the contents of the last folder in this path from USB media: \BA_10\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\Data\USA Geocoding Service Full\

Paste and overwrite in the folder at the end of this path: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Business Analyst\Data\USA Geocoding Service\

Regards,

Jason R.
0 Kudos
PeterRothfuss
New Contributor
Hi Jason--

I did not have any problems with the Block Group layer, so I attempted the USA Geocoding Service re-copy as per your instructions and that solved my problem!!

Thank you very much for your time and efforts in resolving this issue for me.

Kind regards,

Pete
0 Kudos