Option to update a solution instead of redeploying it.

12-13-2022 03:34 PM
DustinSellinger
New Contributor III

Once you deploy you starting making it your own.  Updating maps, changing labels, rearranging the dashboard, adding back in those two or three extra fields in a layer here or there.  

And then, the solution is updated!

Instead of weeks of work to reload all your data and update all the settings what if the solutions could see that you have a prior version installed and just make the changes to the fields, layers, and tables that were changed?  

I'm looking at you Water Distribution Data Management Solution and your wild changelog of what seems to be tiny changes.

VersionDescription

• Manufacturer and Model fields were added to the Hydrant Maintenance Inspection table to support the Water Utility Hydrant Inspections solution.

• The Minimal Gallery app has been removed from the solution item.

• Name changed from Water Distribution Data Management for ArcGIS Online to Water Distribution Data Management.

2 Comments
BarryG
by

Agreed.  I deployed the Daily Activity Dashboard for Law Enforcement, updated the existing Crimes feature layer within the deployment, only to find out that the Dashboard content is not even configured at all within.  Come on, I know they had it working as such, as the blog showed that it was, so why disconnect the data in the deployed dashboard version?

Joshua-Young

As one that has updated solutions manually in the past, I agree that it would be great to have the ability to do an inplace update sometimes. That said, I understand why Esri does not do inplace updates. Once a solution is deployed we can customize it however we choose, from a little to a lot. An inplace upgrade would surely break those customizations, or even cause conflicts that cause things to start throwing errors. Esri's current processing of do a new deployment and migrate your content and customizations into the new deployment is the safest way to migrate.

Maybe Esri could develop a way to test if a solution has not been modified and then offer an inplace update?