Why would arcgis server be constantly be sending requests to an ip address that doesn't exist (169.254.169.254)?

10-09-2017 07:17 AM
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Our IT manger has recently asked me this, has anyone else experienced this?  It is constantly sending requests to this ip address 169.254.169.254.  Resource Monitor Screen shot.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattStull
New Contributor III

I'm having this same issue but with ArcGIS Desktop.  ArcMap and ArcCatalog won't open.  When I try to open them, the splash screen appears and then it doesn't go away and the mouse cursor just has that spinning wheel.  Sometimes ArcMap or ArcCatalog will open but only after a long wait.  Are you having that happen as well?  Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
MattStull
New Contributor III

My IT staff said it was making the calls to 169.254.169.254 IP address.

0 Kudos
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Matt, 

We were not having issues with ArcGIS Desktop, just server hosting our ArcGIS server and ArcGIS License Manager.  

We did not find a complete fix, but I was told by ESRI support it was a know issue related to the ArcGIS License Manager.  We upgraded the License Manager to a more recent release and the calls to the specific ip address were cut in half but have not gone away completely.  So if your license manager is on the same machine as your arcgis desktop version that you are trying to open it may be related. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
MattStull
New Contributor III

I got this issue fixed back in December!  Thanks for the feedback Tom.  Here are the notes I made to myself on how I fixed it:

This problem is fixed!  The problem was that the licensing for ArcGIS Desktop was not working.  I worked with ESRI Technical Support on the issue and they will have some notes as to what troubleshooting steps we took (case # 02038194).  I fixed the licensing problem by deleting this folder (which holds the licensing files on my local machine):  C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

Then I went into the City's ESRI Customer Account Website and created a new provisioning file and downloaded it.  Then I ran through the license authorization process and it worked fine.  Before this I had tried using an existing provisioning file and also had tried to authorize the licensing using the wizard to do it over the web but neither way worked.