error getting service

08-26-2019 01:54 PM
CherieCockrell
New Contributor II

My ArcGIS server is suddenly having problems and the log files say "error getting service / rest"

This randomly occurred as I was not even working on these maps for weeks and was on a different offline project. The file seems to be working fine in arcgis online but not directly from my portal. 

Any suggestions?

6 Replies
PaulHoefflerGISS
Occasional Contributor III

We have the same issue with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 on Windows.

soniadickerson1
Occasional Contributor

We have the same issue with 10.7.1 on Windows as well.  After looking at the W3SVC1 logs, it appears to be a series of GET, HEAD, and POST ArcGIS+Pro+2.5.0 requests to services that don't exist on our server any more.  The requests are made every hour.  I don't know how to stop them, so if you know more, please let me know.  

0 Kudos
DeanHowell1
Occasional Contributor III

Any resolution to this problem as we are experiencing the same?

0 Kudos
fpires
by
New Contributor

I don't know if you got the answer, but in my case, I had a Http service running on ArcGIS Monitor checking a rest service on my ArcGIS Server and I had deleted that service.

When I deleted the Http checking service on ArcGIS Monitor the problem was resolved.

0 Kudos
davehorsey1
Occasional Contributor

From what I can tell, a scenario where this can happen is when ArcGIS Pro consumes a hosted feature layer, e.g. https://portal.domain.local/server/rest/services/Hosted/layer1/FeatureServer. It thinks there's an associated map service (there isn't - hosted feature layers don't have corresponding map services) and makes a request to a map service that doesn't exist, i.e. https://portal.domain.local/server/rest/services/Hosted/layer1/MapServer,  which triggers the error.

I'm trying to get confirmation on this. I'll post a follow up with what I find out.

0 Kudos
davehorsey1
Occasional Contributor

The triggering of the "Error getting service" error via the scenario described in my previous post has been recognised as a bug - BUG-000141232 : ArcGIS Server WARNING Log: Error getting service for hosted feature layers.

This issue was recreated in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1 with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 and 10.8 but could not be recreated with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.

0 Kudos