Feature service default values not used for hidden fields... why not?

12-17-2018 06:09 PM
PeterLen
Occasional Contributor

We are using ArcGIS 10.4 with an Oracle datastore.  I have a feature class that has some default values for some attributes.  When I go to publish the feature class as a feature service, I hide several of the fields.  When the user saves the data, the fields that were hidden get a <null> value rather than the defaults I set.  I can't find a reason why this is happening in order to try to find a solution that will allow me to get my default values for the hidden fields.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Peter

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Peter,

When you publish the service with those fields hidden then the feature service does not know about or include those hidden fields in the update/add methods so no data is attempted to be added to those fields. Your probably thinking that you have set defaults for those fields so esri should apply those defaults when the update/add methods are called for that service but that is not how it works. If you want default values applied to those fields then the fields must not be set to hidden when the service is published. You can hide then in your apps instead and then the default value should be applied.