Runtime in services functionality

04-08-2021 02:26 PM
Labels (1)
PhilipMeeks_CS
New Contributor

Since you asked at the dev summit....

I work on systems for Fire and EMS including 911 and Dispatch.  The only function I need use in services is to project incoming long lat values to the projection that the client uses for their maps.

7 Comments
AlexGonzalez2

We would like to move some of our enterprise application work off of the thick client and into services for geometry manipulation and processing. We also would have a use-case for handling geometry operations for incoming flat files that we import from third parties for import into our clients.

Loading features from service tables would also be helpful for inspecting and validating data in some of our automated services as well. Geocoding is also another instance we would like to leverage.

We also have document generation services that currently export maps via REST export requests we could expand a bit on the functionality in there if we could load feature attributes and shape data.

There would also be a use-case for serialization to some of our internal auditing apps when we hit edge cases during data imports and some of the year-to-year rollover processes we use.

Nicholas-Furness

Hi @PhilipMeeks_CS 

I wonder if you could make use of this service for what you want to achieve?

https://tasks.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Geometry/GeometryServer

(here's the item description)

If you have an ArcGIS Server instance, I believe that can be enabled there too.

Here's some developer doc: https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/project.htm

Jan-Tschada

@RexHansen you mentioned that you are considering using some of the runtime libraries in a service/server context (Geospatial engine for spatial analytics). Is this still under consideration?

We are facing a lot of integration issues when using the default author & publish approach with GP Tools and cascading web services (NTLM authentication with SSO using custom GP Services). All our use cases are connecting to custom data stores using web services with authentication/authorization and execute predefined geospatial workflows like buffering, spatial join, spatial aggregation and so on running in ArcGIS Enterprise.

We are not able to reuse/delegate the authentication from our GP Service to the custom data store REST/GraphQL/gRPC endpoint. Right now, we have to use predefined "technical users", "system accounts" for accessing theses datastores. If we could use a geospatial engine running in our own web services, we would be able to directly authenticate against the custom datastore endpoint and do the geospatial processing without authenticating against and transferring the data back and forth to ArcGIS Enterprise using the Geometry Services.

PhilipMeeks_CS
The only functionality I need is converting lat/long to projected points or projected points to lat/long. As it turns out, one of my co-workers showed me an open source project that can do that; so I don't really need runtime for that any more.
Jan-Tschada

@PhilipMeeks_CS  we would prefer to stay with ArcGIS Runtime. We want to reuse our existing core libraries for mobile, desktop and web service development. Also, some of our system integrators ran into a bunch of serious licensing issues when combining various Open Source libraries in the past.

RexHansen

@Jan-Tschada  We are still considering how to deliver a Runtime product for use in a service as it is a very popular request.   Most of those requests center on workflows to support feature serialization, editing, and use of geometry engine operations.   This request appears to include authentication and use of tasks (eg  geoprocessing task) to access ArcGIS service endpoints.   Sounds reasonable.  It may take some time, but we'll start moving on this in 2022 to assess technical and business viability.         

Jan-Tschada

@RexHansen thanks for your update, sounds promising. I created a "milestone" on our "location intelligence engineering board" to keep track of it. Location Intelligence Engineering MS-Q1 2022