Will WPF/Win7 Support Map Touch/Gesture Capabilities?

Jump to solution
01-13-2016 07:51 AM
ShaneBuscher
Occasional Contributor

​I have a client who wants a .NET field mapping application developed. Their target hardware are Toughbooks running Win7. I was looking to use the WPF ArcGIS Runtime SDK. However, the application will need to support touch, drag, pinch, etc. to interact with the map. I was wondering if there are going to be any limitations, either with the Runtime SDK and/or Win7, in supporting touch and gesture capabilities required for the map? Thanks for your help in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

If you can, you should be looking ArcGIS Runtime for .NET which is the newer version of runtime that enables you to build applications for the windows platform. You can find more from here​. If you are interested about the touch support, we are restricted to the dev device / os but Windows 7 should work. You can find more about system requirements here. You can find more about the supported gestures here and ​

ArcGIS Runtime for .NET is designed for mouse, stylus and touch where the older ArcGIS Runtime for WPF doesn't provide as good support out of the box. You still can build touch based applications with it but it needs a bit more work compared to the .NET SDK.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

If you can, you should be looking ArcGIS Runtime for .NET which is the newer version of runtime that enables you to build applications for the windows platform. You can find more from here​. If you are interested about the touch support, we are restricted to the dev device / os but Windows 7 should work. You can find more about system requirements here. You can find more about the supported gestures here and ​

ArcGIS Runtime for .NET is designed for mouse, stylus and touch where the older ArcGIS Runtime for WPF doesn't provide as good support out of the box. You still can build touch based applications with it but it needs a bit more work compared to the .NET SDK.

ShaneBuscher
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response Antti. I actually did mean ArcGIS Runtime for .NET (Desktop SDK which equates to WPF development) instead of the older WPF Runtime. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos