visual details missing from added feature onto map using mpk

07-29-2014 10:31 PM
LinaYap1
New Contributor II

Some of the details are missing when programmatically adding features onto a ArcGISLocalFeatureLayer (from mpk).

Eg:

-For point geometry, I could only load the symbol, without the labellings

-For line geometry, the final result is only a simpleLineSymbol (eg: just a solid green line) instead of what was defined in the MPK file (eg an arrow line symbology).

In order words, the symbology defined in MPK using ArcMap, were just replaced by simple solid line of color, missing label data and etc.

Does runtime WPF actually support these symbology on the layers? Please advise what am I missing. >< Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

There are two different rendering mechanisms for these different layer types:

- ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer / ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer:

Map images are rendered on a per request basis by the server (local or online) and an image is returned to the client application for display to the user. This route offer full ArcGIS symbology support (including the cartographic line symbols you mention).

- ArcGISLocalFeatureLayer / FeatureLayer:

Actual features (geometries and attributes) plus symbology information is returned to the client application for rendering. this route only supports simple symbols (SimpleMarker, etc) and picture symbols (PictureMarker, etc).

For the best of both, you can use both - the dynamic map service layer for rendering and a feature layer with the same content in selection only mode. Here is a sample: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF Samples‌.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
LinaYap1
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, it clears up my concept to a certain extent. Could you further advise me on how to add/update the rendering symbols by using ArcGISLocalDynamicMapServiceLayer.

0 Kudos
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Lina,

Check samples under dynamic map service layer like :

Dynamic Layers Generate Renderers

Dynamic Layers Thematic Mapping

0 Kudos