Using Online Basemaps/Tiles as local packages

04-18-2013 08:19 AM
GeorgeFaraj
Occasional Contributor III
Is there a way to download the data for ArcMap's basemaps (like the World Topographic Map for example) and load it into my application in a machine that doesn't have internet access?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
As far as I know, no you won't be able to do that. You would have to make your own basemap in an MXD and then create a tile package out of it. Esri provide the topographic map template in the community maps gallery, so you could just add your data to that.
0 Kudos
GeorgeFaraj
So, I should be able to add the WTM basemap in ArcMap, then share it as a TPK and when I load it in my app in the internet-less machine, it should work?
0 Kudos
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Oh if you add the World topo map service into ArcMap and create a tile package out of that it won't work. You would have to download the World topo template mxd and point it at your own data e.g. feature classes, shapefiles etc. then create a tile package out of that.
0 Kudos
GeorgeFaraj
The thing is, I don't know what shapefiles will be used in my app beforehand. The user can load any number of shapefiles/MPKs/GDBs/etc into the map, I just want to have a default basemap added at the beginning. Can I just download the topographic MXD and save it as a TPK without any extra shape files?

PS: Where do I download that MXD?
0 Kudos