Taking a webmap offline and maintaining layers' symbology

12-22-2020 10:30 AM
KevinCheriyan
Occasional Contributor

I have a webmap in ArcGIS Enterprise Portal with 20 or so layers that I am accessing in my app. Some of these layers have complex and custom symbology. I am able to access this webmap in the app without any issues whatsoever, as long as the device is connected online. But I would like to access this webmap with all its layers, attributes, symbology, etc. offline. For taking the data offline and making it accessible, I know I have a couple of options: Geodatabase and Mobile Map Packages. I decided to try out Geodatabase.

But for Geodatabase, it looks like I will have to create a dictionary renderer with all details for my complex symbology from scratch. See this toolkit. I do not have the means to create a .stylx file for this symbology from scratch since I didn't create the original symbology. 

Is there a way to create this symbology from say, a .lyr file on-the-fly? Should I not be using Geodatabase but .mmpk instead? Appreciate the help. 

--------------------------------------------------
Application Developer, GeoMarvel
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PreetiMaske
Esri Contributor

Both options are valid workflows but one requires little more work than the other:

MMPK : If you prefer that data and symbology are available right away when offline map is opened then you should create MMPK.

Geodatabase : For offline geodatabase usecase, I am curious to know your workflow and what are you seeing on the map? No symbology or simple symbology? You mentioned webmap's advanced symbology is not available when layer is taken offline? Can you describe  how are layers setup to use dictionary renderer in a webmap? 

0 Kudos