Signal layerCreateComplete and etc relevant to Graphics- and MessageGroupLayers?

Jump to solution
08-04-2015 12:00 AM
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

The class 'layer' emits the signals layerCreateComplete, layerCreateError and layerProgress.

Ok, for basemap layers they are usefull. Are the relevant for Graphics- or MessageGroupLayers???

Unfortunately this issue is not documented...

Related to EsriRuntimeQt SDK (C++); Version 10.2.6

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Norbert-

You're right, it doesn't seem to be firing for me either. This looks like an oversight on our part, so I recommend you log a bug through technical support for this. However, I spoke with the developer of this part of the API, and he suggested that the message group layer is unique (kind of like a graphics layer), and you shouldn't need to wait for layer create complete signal to emit, but rather you can just immediately add it to the map. This returns a bool, so make sure this returns true.

Thanks,

Luke

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LucasDanzinger

Norbert-

MessageGroupLayer inherits from Layer, so these signals are still applicable. GraphicsLayer would also inherit these signals. However, Graphic itself would not.

Thanks,

Luke

NorbertThoden

Hi Lucas!

Thank you very much for your very quick response!!

I understand your informations, i saw that looking at the inheritance tree.

But my questions has a slightly different focus:

Loading a (topographic) basemap layer requires to wait for signal layerCreateComplete before working with this layer.

Do i have to wait for that signal in case of Graphics- or MessageGroupLayers???

I connect slots to that signals of those layers but the are not fired.

Is it a bug or is that fact only missing within the documentation?

Thanks, Norbert

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

Norbert-

You're right, it doesn't seem to be firing for me either. This looks like an oversight on our part, so I recommend you log a bug through technical support for this. However, I spoke with the developer of this part of the API, and he suggested that the message group layer is unique (kind of like a graphics layer), and you shouldn't need to wait for layer create complete signal to emit, but rather you can just immediately add it to the map. This returns a bool, so make sure this returns true.

Thanks,

Luke

NorbertThoden

Hi Lucas!

Thanks for contacting the developer. Until now it was an assumption that its not necessary to wait for the signals. Now i feel confirmed 

I will follow your suggestion and log a bug report soon.

Additionally i am hoping that will continue support me and my (simple) questions here in the forum.

(The German esri employees suggested to use esri ideas and this forum. Based on your answers i got quick and valuable help - thanks a lot. I hope that the support we increase their effectiveness. See the current cases 93879, 94288, 94409, 94410 and 94437.)

Thanks,

Norbert

0 Kudos
NorbertThoden

ESRI support created:

[ENH-000090236 Documentation update: Signal layerCreateComplete shouldn't fire the graphics layer as well as the MessageGroupLayer. This needs to be documented in ArcGIS Runtime for Qt version 10.2.6 documentation.]

0 Kudos