Running Developer Examples on i.MX8 with ArcGIS Embedded Linux

Jump to solution
01-12-2021 06:27 AM
BBBAYRAM
New Contributor

Hello everybody,

We are currently trying to run basic samples of ArcGIS on i.MX8 board. But we obtained no result so far. The samples are either running but show no map or not  working and cause a segmantation fault. With tons of tries, we observed that our problem is tied to OpenGL support on the board. i.MX8 has OpenGL ES support but not OpenGL support so far. Is there a way for us to using ArcGIS on this board? May we use ArcGIS with OpenGL ES? I am leaving our version details below.

• i.MX8 toolchain: Yocto Sumo 4.14
  • Qt Version: 5.10.1
  • ArcGIS SDK: 100.4
  • ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt Embedded Linux Beta

Our strace output is at the attachment section.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BBBAYRAM ,

Unfortunately we have closed this project and it never progressed out of the beta phase. I am interested to hear about your specific case and if this is something we can consider reopening the beta program for.

I can say that the Beta did require full, Desktop-class OpenGL support and not OpenGL ES. Included with the Beta were some instructions on how to build a version of Qt for the target hardware that would target OpenGL, which is not the default for embedded devices. We had only tested on higher-end devices, such as the NVidia Jetson TX2 and Jetson Nano.

To answer your question, no, the beta won't work on the i.MX8 unfortunately due to our OpenGL requirements.

View solution in original post

JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BBBAYRAM ,

Thanks for the info. I will bring this info to the Runtime team as a justification to reopen the Beta, but unfortunately I cannot promise anything. It is unlikely we can spin the project back up unless we hear from a few more users.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BBBAYRAM ,

Unfortunately we have closed this project and it never progressed out of the beta phase. I am interested to hear about your specific case and if this is something we can consider reopening the beta program for.

I can say that the Beta did require full, Desktop-class OpenGL support and not OpenGL ES. Included with the Beta were some instructions on how to build a version of Qt for the target hardware that would target OpenGL, which is not the default for embedded devices. We had only tested on higher-end devices, such as the NVidia Jetson TX2 and Jetson Nano.

To answer your question, no, the beta won't work on the i.MX8 unfortunately due to our OpenGL requirements.

BBBAYRAM
New Contributor

Hi @JamesBallard1,

We are developing products for Embedded Systems in our company and we need to develop GIS Software on these products. I.MX8 is widely used in these systems so it is a must situation for us to run our GIS Software on this board. Other than I.MX8, we would like to compile our GIS software on Atom and Xeon Processors. We tried ArcGIS on Atom and had no issues and we are very satisfied with its performance.

Is it possible for you guys to re-open Beta program and we would like to cooparate on this program. Embedded SDK is an important factor for us to prefer ArcGIS. Our BSP team is currently investigating if it is possible to adding OpenGL support on I.MX8 Board. If we would receive a positive feedback on this, we would like to continue using Embedded SDK.

0 Kudos
JamesBallard1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @BBBAYRAM ,

Thanks for the info. I will bring this info to the Runtime team as a justification to reopen the Beta, but unfortunately I cannot promise anything. It is unlikely we can spin the project back up unless we hear from a few more users.