Questions about license levels and licensing an application

Jump to solution
12-16-2015 10:57 PM
IanBroad
New Contributor III

I'd like to make an app that has no map component. It would just display attribute data based on a query.

To do this, I'd create the geodatabase first, and load it onto the device. Then I'd register the geodatabase with the Feature Service using GeodatabaseSyncTask. There would be no editing done on the device. The SyncGeodatabaseParameters syncDirection would be set to SyncDirectionDownload in order to pull down updates periodically.

What licensing level would this require? I ask because on this link:

License your app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt | ArcGIS for Developers

Basic licensing states:

All functionality except:

Local locators (geocoding)

Local routing

Local editing (such as geodatabase editing)

Local geodatabase sync operations with an upload

This specifically states "with an upload." Does this mean that since I plan on only downloading data that this app would only require Basic level licensing?

------------------

Second question has to do with licensing an applications and development machine.

When I login to my ESRI developer account, and click on an application I've registered and go to the Licensing tab, I see this message:

Are we really required to register our machine? This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the QT documentation. And when I click on the link mentioned in the image, it directs here:

Licensing Java, Qt, and WPF, ArcGIS Runtime SDKs 10.2 | ArcGIS for Developers

And almost ever single link on that page is broken. Also, doing searches on my machine, I can't find the Software Authorization Wizard, or License Viewer tool anywhere.

The only thing mentioned in the QT documentation is adding the ClientID and License to the AppInfo.h file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Ian,

Yeah, this is a good one. As you correctly pointed out, the doc on this is a bit ambiguous. Apologies for that.

Since the app will be using the GeodatabaseSyncTask APIs, this fact alone makes the app fall into the Standard license category, regardless of whether it's one-way or two-way usage. The geodatabase is still registered with a 'sync-enabled' feature service, though technically your app will only use it in read-only mode. The geodatabase will be updated from the back-end service.

Now, if the geodatabase originates from ArcMap through "Share Runtime Content", this would make it read-only, and thus the app that reads this geodatabase on the device is in Basic license mode, since there is no way that the geodatabase could be updated. This geodatabase is NOT registered with a sync-enabled feature service. Does this make sense?

This is a great question. Thanks for clearly articulating your use case.

By the way, correcting the ambiguity and complexity in the current license model is something we are working very hard to address at the Quartz release.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
EricBader

Hi Ian,

Yeah, this is a good one. As you correctly pointed out, the doc on this is a bit ambiguous. Apologies for that.

Since the app will be using the GeodatabaseSyncTask APIs, this fact alone makes the app fall into the Standard license category, regardless of whether it's one-way or two-way usage. The geodatabase is still registered with a 'sync-enabled' feature service, though technically your app will only use it in read-only mode. The geodatabase will be updated from the back-end service.

Now, if the geodatabase originates from ArcMap through "Share Runtime Content", this would make it read-only, and thus the app that reads this geodatabase on the device is in Basic license mode, since there is no way that the geodatabase could be updated. This geodatabase is NOT registered with a sync-enabled feature service. Does this make sense?

This is a great question. Thanks for clearly articulating your use case.

By the way, correcting the ambiguity and complexity in the current license model is something we are working very hard to address at the Quartz release.

IanBroad
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply, Eric. It's very appreciated.

Yes, it makes sense, and it's how I figured it was. I look forward to the Quartz release. I've only been familiarizing myself with the QML Qt SDK for a few weeks, and I like it. I was surprised how quickly I could throw together an app that worked on both Windows and Android. I hope it sticks around!

I haven't read much about the Quartz release. What's the best documentation I can read that will tell me what changes are coming?

EricBader

Thanks Ian!

For what's coming in Quartz, have you seen this?

What's Coming in ArcGIS for Developers | Esri Video

0 Kudos