Offline Map Job generateOfflineMap - Speed Slow on Feature Layers?

07-09-2020 10:33 AM
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

I have a product in production that lets my users take a subset of the data offline using generateOfflineMap.  This process say, for my web map with 5 feature layers (filtered using definition query) and the tiled basemaps (filtered by area and scale considerations) takes almost 2 minutes to download what says 4.5mb in the estimate.  This is unacceptable to my users.  So I decided to dig into this and see why it takes so long.  I took the overrides function so that I can remove the feature layers and tiled layers to see what is taking so long.

I assumed the basemap was what was taking so long, but to my surprise I removed all of the layers using the override functions and the download with the basemaps took under 10 secs, which I thought was very reasonable.  So I realize it is the layers, so i turn them on one at a time (each by themselves), and that doesn't improve.  It only improves when the are are all off.

What about these layers on my webmap is making them take so long to download?  Each layer has a definition query that might break them down to include only 1 feature?  So it isn't a data thing as far as I can tell.  What am I missing.

Matt

also, I used this to remove some layers and get overrides to work.  But this just helped in breaking down the problem.  Hoping I can use the overrides to speed up by removing something or checking something.

Generate offline map (overrides) | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MKa
by

Are resources look just fine.  And we ran the analysis and reindex and nothing changed.  We will now try and get you the SQL Server trace file so we can see what is going on, where should I send it?

This is so strange, it must be in the packaging of the .geodatabase file, as i watch my offline map package folder being created, the tile files are created very quickly, then there is about a minute pause until the .geodatabase files then start to appear.  I think we are getting closer to figuring this out.

0 Kudos
GaryMacDougall
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt

Making arrangements for a location to send the logs - will let you know

thanks

Gary

0 Kudos
MKa
by

I continue to work with Gary on this but wanted to give an update and ask for some help.

We discovered that at least in my case that through creating the replica using ArcGIS Rest Services that creating my offline replicas is twice as fast when I select the Synchronous option and NOT the async option.  Is there a way for me to do this in code so that the create replica process works Synchronously?

Also, the number of columns in my table is also making my offline create process very slow, but I need the information in those columns (100+ columns).  Any ideas on how to get those columns offline without making, what appears to be a slow schema create process.

0 Kudos