Make Marker symbols at a fixed size

Jump to solution
09-26-2017 12:09 PM
NicholasLiccini
New Contributor II

Hi!

I would like to create marker symbols (such as SimpleMarkerSymbol or PictureMarkerSymbol) at a fixed size so that when I zoom in or out they stay the same size.

Is this possible using a GraphicOverlay and Graphic items?

Thanks!

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

This is something that we do not yet support. We have a similar concept for 3D, but the renderer works in 3D only - http://developers.arcgis.com/qt/latest/cpp/api-reference/esri-arcgisruntime-distancecompositescenesy... 

We are looking at ways to support this for 2D in an upcoming release.

- Luke 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucasDanzinger

I have  couple of questions for clarification:

- are you talking 2d or 3d?

- when you say you want it to be a fixed size, do you mean you want it to be an exact number of pixels at all times, regardless of the zoom level? Or are you saying you want it to be a fixed size only at a given scale, so that if you zoom in beyond that scale it gets bigger, and if you zoom out, it gets smaller and eventually disappears (like a reference scale - Map reference scales—Properties of maps | ArcGIS Desktop )

0 Kudos
NicholasLiccini
New Contributor II

I'm using 2D symbols and I would like the latter option where it gets smaller when you zoom out

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

This is something that we do not yet support. We have a similar concept for 3D, but the renderer works in 3D only - http://developers.arcgis.com/qt/latest/cpp/api-reference/esri-arcgisruntime-distancecompositescenesy... 

We are looking at ways to support this for 2D in an upcoming release.

- Luke 

0 Kudos
NicholasLiccini
New Contributor II

Okay, then perhaps there is a way to make the symbol a fixed pixel size?

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

All 2D marker symbols are a fixed pixel size. SimpleMarkerSymbols have a size property and PictureMarkerSymbols have a height and width. Those will show at a fixed pixel size no matter the scale you are at. The only caveat is that they are Device Independent Pixels (DIPs) as opposed to raw pixels. We do this so that things look the same on all platforms no matter the resolution of the screen.

0 Kudos