Destruction of objects/graphics does not release memory

11-06-2020 04:31 AM
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

In your application objects/Graphics are created and destroyed.
Now we recognize that the memory allocated by Esri::ArcGISRuntime::Graphic is not released.
So our application runs out of memory is a few hours (instead of running days and weeks)

I wrote a sample to reproduce the issue:
1) start the program
      -> 185MB

2a) I create 100k objects (SimpleMarkerSymbol) -> exisiting objects: 100k:
      -> 1008MB

2b) I destroy 100k objects (SimpleMarkerSymbol) -> exisiting objects: 0:
       -> 1070MB

3a) create 100k objects..
3b) destroy..
-> exisiting objects: 0:
  ctc       3981 15.7  7.2 3351616 1186460 pts/8 Sl+  08:07   0:11 ./MemUsageWithManyMarker
  -> 1180MB

4a) create 100k objects..
4b) destroy..
-> exisiting objects: 0:
  ctc       3981 16.3  7.5 3404684 1233580 pts/8 Sl+  08:07   0:23 ./MemUsageWithManyMarker
  -> 1223MB

The memory isn´t released even if i destroy the a) the GraphicsOverlay, b) MapView or c) Map.

Following Cases/Bugs are created:

• Esri Case #02675513 - Destruction of objects/graphics does not release memory
    BUG-000135578: Appending 100,000 graphics to GraphicsOverlay causes memory leak
  • Esri Case #02688296 - increasing memory usage over time
    BUG-000135793 - Creation of an additional 1,000 graphics after initially creating 100,000 graphics causes an increase in memory usage when using dynamic rendering mode
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LukeSmallwood
Esri Contributor

Hi Norbert, I hope you're well.

We'll take a look at your repro to try and understand what is going on. In the meantime, one thing which may be of use is to try and avoid creating a new SimpleMarkerSymbol for each Graphic that you allocate:

Esri::ArcGISRuntime::SimpleMarkerSymbol *sms =
          new Esri::ArcGISRuntime::SimpleMarkerSymbol(Esri::ArcGISRuntime::SimpleMarkerSymbolStyle::Circle, QColor("red"), 10, graphic);
        graphic->setSymbol(sms);

If you can create a SimpleRenderer  for the GraphicsOverlay instead, then each Graphic in that overlay will get the same symbol without having to allocate additional memory. This should be a more efficient workflow in general - this sample should give you an idea of how to use that API arcgis-runtime-samples-qt/ArcGISRuntimeSDKQt_CppSamples/DisplayInformation/Simple_Renderer at master... .

I can see that this is a simplified repro project so if you are already doing that in the real example please ignore.

Luke

0 Kudos
LukeSmallwood
Esri Contributor

One other thing which may be worth trying is to make sure that individual graphics are removed when you loop round and call 

glm->removeOne(graphic);

The call to remove a Graphic is asynchronous and you should wait for the graphicRemoved signal before removing the next. I'm not sure if that is affecting the work-flow that you use here but it may be worth investigation.

0 Kudos
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Luke!

Is there an example how to create and destroy graphics as yopu suggested?

Thx

0 Kudos