Creating a barcode reader

03-20-2015 10:44 AM
RiverTaig1
Occasional Contributor

I'm just back form the ESRI Developer Summit where there was quite a bit of buzz surrounding AppStudio for ArcGIS and Qt-QML. I haven't tinkered with that technology yet, but I have been working with Android Studio and created a few native phone and tablet apps with it and the ArcGIS API.  I've just been tasked with creating an app for the IPhone / IPad, and Android devices that will allow a utility field worker to scan a barcode on a pole or a transformer and then retrieve some attribute data about it from the GIS (using a REST call to a MapService).  I have zero knowledge of developing for the IPhone or IPad and am wondering if AppStudio might be the path of least resistance for something like this?  It wouldn't be too hard to pull this off just for Android as there are some 3rd party libraries to do the barcode scanning.  Can Qt-QML and AppStudio do this?  Should I consider Xamarin instead?  Should I buckle down and learn how to write apps for IThis and the IThat?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Couldn't speak for Xamarin, but if you want to try out App Studio, here you go! http://appstudio.arcgis.com .

You can also develop for iOS with the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for iOS, a fantastic native API for iPhones. You get closer to native QR Code libraries for the iOS platform with this SDK, I believe.

0 Kudos
MarcoPiccolino1
New Contributor III

If you decide to take the Qt way, you might have a look at these projects:

https://gitorious.org/project-grande/declarative-barcode-reader-plugin

QZXing / Wiki / Home

0 Kudos
fenden
by
New Contributor

I don't know whether you've ever tried Zxing bar code, it's really good. And another one is what I'm using now, it's a java bar code reader.

0 Kudos
arronlee
New Contributor

Hi, fen den.

I am working with c#.net platform instead of java. So do you have any ideas about barcode reader for c#.net platform? Any suggetsion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

0 Kudos