Symbology for polygons and polylines that place symbols on vertices

Jump to solution
12-20-2018 04:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a symbology for polygons and polylines that places a marker symbol on each vertex?

Currently I achieve this by creating a separate multi-point geometry from all the points in the line or polygon and symbolizing that multi-point geometry. Obviously there is overhead involved in creating and maintaining the multi-point geometry, and this doesn't scale very well if I wanted lots of features to display like this. Ideally, the layer itself would just have a symbology that did this.

Cheers,

-Paul

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

You can do this, but not easily at the moment. With Update 5 (due out around Dev Summit 2019), we will have an entirely new Multilayer Symbol API where you can design complex symbols that are made up of many different layers. For example, the outline is one layer that makes up a polygon, and you could choose to use marker symbols on the outline, which would place the marker at each vertex of the polygon.

If you absolutely need to do this with 100.4, you still can, but you can't define the symbol in code - rather, you'll have to design the symbol in Pro, share a Mobile Style File, and then consume the style file and obtain the symbol from that.

I wrote a blog post on this in the past, where I am creating a custom pro symbol and then obtaining it in Runtime. It is C++, but the API is pretty much exactly the same, so you should get the general idea - https://community.esri.com/community/developers/native-app-developers/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-qt/blog... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LucasDanzinger

You can do this, but not easily at the moment. With Update 5 (due out around Dev Summit 2019), we will have an entirely new Multilayer Symbol API where you can design complex symbols that are made up of many different layers. For example, the outline is one layer that makes up a polygon, and you could choose to use marker symbols on the outline, which would place the marker at each vertex of the polygon.

If you absolutely need to do this with 100.4, you still can, but you can't define the symbol in code - rather, you'll have to design the symbol in Pro, share a Mobile Style File, and then consume the style file and obtain the symbol from that.

I wrote a blog post on this in the past, where I am creating a custom pro symbol and then obtaining it in Runtime. It is C++, but the API is pretty much exactly the same, so you should get the general idea - https://community.esri.com/community/developers/native-app-developers/arcgis-runtime-sdk-for-qt/blog... 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Luke, I'll give that a go and also take a look at the new Multilayer API when it comes out.

That current process you describe using Custom Pro Symbols, is that possible to use in the old 10.2.6 runtime or just the 100.x? (The client who is asking me about it happens to still be running an app in the old runtime).

cheers,

-Paul

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

100.x only - I can't remember the exact version, but I think 100.2 it came in.

0 Kudos