Labels on Local Features (runtime geodatabase)

Jump to solution
01-25-2017 09:22 AM
MarkPearson1
New Contributor II

Hi - I'm trying to use Labels for features in a local mobile geodatabase (aka 'for runtime').  On the local GDB, I cannot seem to get labels to rotate.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  They show up, but they are always horizontal.

We have a very detailed utility map that has annotation placed throughout.  I was planning on converting those to labels since it's not possible to store annotation in a runtime geodatabase.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Mark-

It is not possible currently. This is because the FeatureLayer currently uses the implementation of the GraphicsOverlay in "static" rendering mode. However, static mode stays oriented with the screen and does not rotate along with the map. We are planning on eventually allowing the FeatureLayer to be displayed in either "static" or "dynamic" mode, similar to GraphicsOverlay. Dynamic mode rotates with the map, so this would give you the behavior you are asking about.

- Luke

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucasDanzinger

Hey Mark-

It is not possible currently. This is because the FeatureLayer currently uses the implementation of the GraphicsOverlay in "static" rendering mode. However, static mode stays oriented with the screen and does not rotate along with the map. We are planning on eventually allowing the FeatureLayer to be displayed in either "static" or "dynamic" mode, similar to GraphicsOverlay. Dynamic mode rotates with the map, so this would give you the behavior you are asking about.

- Luke

0 Kudos
MarkPearson1
New Contributor II

Hi Lucas, and thanks. I wasn't very clear, but I need to be able to rotate individual labels, not rotate the entire map.  The label rotation seems to work fine if the features are coming from a Map Service.  However, my app needs to work disconnected, so it's coming from a mobile (local) geodatabase.  Our maps are quite elaborate utility maps and having all the labels horizontal makes the maps unusable.

I'm guessing that kind of flexibility for labels just hasn't been added yet.  What's the best way for me to be sure it gets into a future build?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger

You are correct. Labeling is currently limited to turning on and off with some automatic conflict detection, and that is about it. The best thing to do is to log a support case and ask to log an enhancement request. Give them your use case and requirements so they can add the information to the request.

- Luke

0 Kudos
EricBader
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Mark. Lucas is right about logging an enhancement request. We monitor those as closely as we can.

In addition, you can always use https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas to post this request. In doing this, you can engage the community in promoting the idea by voting. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos