Is it possible to use shape files to generate routes on a basemap?

Jump to solution
07-19-2021 08:15 AM
AbhijeetSatam
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am using QT verion 5.14.2 and arcgis version 100.8.

I want to create a widget application which can display routes on my 2D map. I need to add navigational features to my widget . I have gone through arcgis  documentation and learnt that I might need to work on ArcGIS Pro to generate a Mobile Map Package geoprocessing tool, with the map and network dataset. My query is that is it possible to generate this data out of .shp files and use a topographic map rather than a geodatabase and network dataset?? Or is it necessary to generate a map through ArcGIS Pro??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

To solve a route in Runtime, you'll need a network dataset, either from a mobile map package or an online network routing service. To create this, you'll need to use ArcGIS Pro. A shapefile does not have the built in functionality to solve a route. You could import your shapefile into ArcGIS Pro and create a network dataset from that, then export a mobile map package or route service for use within Runtime.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor

To solve a route in Runtime, you'll need a network dataset, either from a mobile map package or an online network routing service. To create this, you'll need to use ArcGIS Pro. A shapefile does not have the built in functionality to solve a route. You could import your shapefile into ArcGIS Pro and create a network dataset from that, then export a mobile map package or route service for use within Runtime.

0 Kudos