Xamarin Beta - any news?

06-02-2015 06:11 AM
ArneLehmann
New Contributor

At the moment we are evaluating possibilities for cross platform (mobile) development. One of the possible choices is the Xamarin SDK (AppStudio being the other). Our problem is that besides the presentation at DevSummit there is no news regarding Xamarin. As we are a .Net shop, Xamarin would fit perfectly into our skill set but the silence surrounding it leaves us doubtful if esri is committed to it.

Is there anybody who could talk about the current situation regarding Xamarin? Our last information is that there's supposed to be a beta in july this year - is that still coming or do we have to wait?

I was directed here from the AppStudio beta forums because apparently some of the devs on the .Net Runtime team are also working on Xamarin, maybe one of them could shed some light on this issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

Hi Arne,

We are actively working on the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Xamarin for release with the next generation of Runtime products (Quartz release).   Keep an eye on this blog post for additional details:  ArcGIS Runtime and Xamarin – Part 2 | ArcGIS Blog

Thanks

-Rex

zhaoyang
New Contributor

Do you plan to  release a beta version this month?

0 Kudos
ArneLehmann
New Contributor

Hi Rex Hansen,

thanks for your answer. Good to hear that Xamarin is still active. Seems like we just have to wait. Are you able to say anything more about the planned date for the beta?

0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

We'll provide an update to the release schedule shortly.   

Thanks,

-Rex

0 Kudos
GerardLawless
New Contributor II

Hi Rex

I was reading that the SDK was planned to be released in December,

Is this still true and is there and official date that it is planned to be released?

JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Rex,

Any update on a release date?

Thanks

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
GerardLawless
New Contributor II

I was reading that the SDK was planned to be released in December,

Is this still true and is there and official date that it is planned to be released?

RexHansen
Esri Contributor

Hi Gerard, Joe,

We're working full time on this, but the schedule has slipped a bit.  Currently we're looking at a public beta by March 2016.

Thanks

-Rex

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update.   I do have to be honest and say it has been very disappointing waiting on this.  I believe last March the planned beta release was in June.

As per your suggestion,

"If possible, I recommend waiting until we officially release an ArcGIS Runtime product that supports Xamarin."

If the delay is because of the desire to support Xamarin Forms perhaps you can rethink that decision.  Having an API to start working against is far more important than that additional support.

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos