Why can't I buy one Runtime license?

Jump to solution
08-25-2015 08:13 PM
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

We were thinking of converting our ArcGIS Engine application to ArcGIS Runtime for .NET (just a desktop application).  When I ask ESRI for pricing info, they give me the price for a pack of 25 which is very pricey.  What can't I just buy one or a few licences like I used to when I used ArcGIS Engine?

Thanks,
Joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Runtime does operate under a different license model than ArcGIS Engine.  Based on experience with ArcGIS Engine licensing, the size of ArcGIS Runtime deployment packs were optimized for overall customer need and designed to be more cost effective.  A vast majority of ArcGIS Runtime developers are building production apps for multiple\many users.  

Also keep in mind that ArcGIS Engine deployment licenses can be sold by the developer or purchased directly by the end user to use with multiple Engine apps on a device.  ArcGIS Runtime deployment licenses are sold by Esri only to the developer who then distributes the licensed app to the end user.  Runtime apps are licensed per app, per device.  Again, this difference\change was deemed most efficient and cost effective.

In addition to purchasing deployment licenses in packs, ArcGIS Runtime does offer the option to license individual users via an ArcGIS Online Developer Plan (https://developers.arcgis.com/en/plans/).  All plans come with one user (Named User) that can login to ArcGIS Online for use with ArcGIS Runtime.  To deploy apps for production you can purchase an ArcGIS Online Developer Plan for $20/month or more.  The Named User credentials associated with the plan cannot be shared with other individuals, whether actual credentials or baked into an app.  Granted, this does require a monthly login to ArcGIS Online to refresh the ArcGIS Runtime license (standard level).  If that is undesirable, then purchasing a deployment license as part of a pack would be the only option.

Hope this helps,

-Rex 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Have you also checked option to use ArcGIS Online or Portal user to unlock the Standard functionality? Basically if users have ArcGIS Online / Portal account, you can sign in and you get a token that you can store to the device. This unlocks functionality for 30 days and can be refreshed anytime by re-signing. This way you don't need to use embedded licenses. Read more from here.

0 Kudos
JoeMadrigal
New Contributor III

Thanks, I would not like the end user having to sign into ESRI to use the software.

0 Kudos
RexHansen
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Runtime does operate under a different license model than ArcGIS Engine.  Based on experience with ArcGIS Engine licensing, the size of ArcGIS Runtime deployment packs were optimized for overall customer need and designed to be more cost effective.  A vast majority of ArcGIS Runtime developers are building production apps for multiple\many users.  

Also keep in mind that ArcGIS Engine deployment licenses can be sold by the developer or purchased directly by the end user to use with multiple Engine apps on a device.  ArcGIS Runtime deployment licenses are sold by Esri only to the developer who then distributes the licensed app to the end user.  Runtime apps are licensed per app, per device.  Again, this difference\change was deemed most efficient and cost effective.

In addition to purchasing deployment licenses in packs, ArcGIS Runtime does offer the option to license individual users via an ArcGIS Online Developer Plan (https://developers.arcgis.com/en/plans/).  All plans come with one user (Named User) that can login to ArcGIS Online for use with ArcGIS Runtime.  To deploy apps for production you can purchase an ArcGIS Online Developer Plan for $20/month or more.  The Named User credentials associated with the plan cannot be shared with other individuals, whether actual credentials or baked into an app.  Granted, this does require a monthly login to ArcGIS Online to refresh the ArcGIS Runtime license (standard level).  If that is undesirable, then purchasing a deployment license as part of a pack would be the only option.

Hope this helps,

-Rex 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rex Hansen, I'm wondering about those users who only need one or two license(s) of the standard functionality. Please see the link below:

RCNM Version 2.0 - Construction Noise - Noise - Environment - FHWA 

This tool was developed by an esri Business Partner for the Federal government, but requires a Standard run-time license to operate. We have confirmed from ESRI that the Lite and Basic licenses will not work. Many companies desiring to using this tool would not need 25 licenses as only a handful of staff would run it. As this is a license for a FREE tool distributed by the federal government, it seems that there should be a simple way to obtain a single license.

0 Kudos