VS 2017 support for 10.2.7

06-29-2017 05:16 AM
AndrewJones1
New Contributor

Is there any plan for releasing a 10.2.7 update for VS 2017. I can't use V100 because it does not (yet) support the .kml import features I need. Surely it is quite easy to tweak the V10.2.7 installer to work with VS 2017. I realise I can import the ArcGIS libraries with nuget but I also need the manifest feature so I can create runtime deployment files.

Also are there any plan for updates to V100? If so when can we expect them?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

While it's not officially supported/tested, you should be able to use VS2017 just fine (I haven't noticed any issues). The only thing you won't get are the project templates, but other than that, you should be able to reference the SDK and use it just fine.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

Sorry just noticed the deployment question. You can use the deployment tool that got installed to run your deployment post-build instead of doing it integrated from within Visual Studio.

0 Kudos
AndrewJones1
New Contributor

Morten, is the deployment tool you refer to part of the 10.2.7 SDK installer? I can't seem to find the tool you are referring to. I wonder if you are thinking of something in the V100.x API?

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Andrew,

The standalone Local Server deployment tool was not part of the 10.2.X setup. It is included from v100.0 onwards. 

Cheers 

Mike

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET 10.2.7 isn't officially supported for use in VS 2017 and unfortunately adding support for 2017 would require more than a tweak to the setup due to template structure changes and other differences that may affect the behavior of the deployment extension. But as Morten said, technically the reference will work. As long as you have VS 2015 installed, the SDK installer will lay down the API on disk, create the appropriate registry key, and it will appear in VS 2017 as a reference under Extensions. 

The workaround for building the deployment would be to use VS 2015. You can use the deployment extension in that environment to create your deployment then include the ArcGISRuntime10.2.7 folder within your app. Once your deployment has been built, as long as you don't change your target architecture(s) or use additional features that require other Runtime resources (e.g. military symbols), the deployment should remain valid. 

At v100.0 and v100.1 there is now a standalone deployment tool included in the ArcGIS Runtime Local Server SDK installation that can be used to create Local Server deployments, but those would be for use only with apps built with the 100.0 or 100.1 versions of the WPF API respectively.

Cheers

Mike