Using Geocoding "suggest" for auto-complete.

Jump to solution
12-02-2014 10:24 AM
BradBriles
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a simple single-line location search use an online geocoding service. I want to implement auto-complete similar to what is available with the Javascript Geocoder widget.

However, I've not been able to find any resources on how to implement the suggest API for the .NET runtime SDK. Searching the documentation only brings up the GeocodeService class which has a "SupportsSuggest" property but there is no indication of how to actually do suggests in .NET.

Any help or assistance you can give me on how to implement geocoding auto-complete in .NET would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The 'Suggest' operation is not supported by the ArcGIS Runtime 10.2.4 locator. You can use the Find operation to get a similar experience though:

find—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers

suggest—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The 'Suggest' operation is not supported by the ArcGIS Runtime 10.2.4 locator. You can use the Find operation to get a similar experience though:

find—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers

suggest—ArcGIS REST API: World Geocoding Service | ArcGIS for Developers .

0 Kudos
HuyHo
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Morten,

Do you know if there is any plan to have 'suggest' operation available for locators in the near future?

0 Kudos
HuyHo
by
Occasional Contributor

Yes, but I meant for LocalLocatorTask.  OnlineLocatorTask has the FindAsync() function, but not for LocalLocatorTask.

When building the locator in ArcGIS for Desktop, I do see an option to "Enable suggestions (optional)" to allow character-by-character auto-complete suggestions.  But it says "The suggestion functionality is only exposed when such a locator is published as a geocode service".

0 Kudos