Offline capabilities...

08-13-2015 01:53 PM
WesBailes
New Contributor III

Developing for Windows Phone 8.1 and am very impressed with application response, visually appealing mapcontrol, etc., but seems we have taken a step backwards with not allowing editing to local data.  This functionality was/is present in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.  Looking to develop an application with many disconnected users that never have a need to update data either direction really.  I am potentially looking at the service based geodatabase as creating a template and using this in offline mode for all of the users.  Anyone see issues with this, or can think of a better solution?  I think handling all features as graphics would be a performance nightmare, but could be wrong.  Hopefully local non-service based editing will be available in subsequent releases.  Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Wes

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III

API support offline editing including editing attachments. Offline model is based on the FeatureServices that are sync enabled and they can be hosted in ArcGIS Online, Portal or Server.

Please refer following documentation and check the samples.

Tutorials:

Create an offline app—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

Guide documentation:

Create an offline map—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

Sync offline edits—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET | ArcGIS for Developers

Samples:

arcgis-runtime-samples-dotnet/src/Phone/ArcGISRuntimeSamplesPhone/Samples/Offline at master · Esri/a...

WesBailes
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info.  I was referring to the ability to edit non-service based data (file gdb, shapefile, etc.).  Basically the desktop pattern with editing functionality.

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

A number of features which will expand the editing workflow options are on the roadmap for a future release. Some of the ideas currently under consideration include augmenting the desktop pattern with a check-out/check-in style workflow, editing of mobile geodatabases which have not been extracted from a service, and shapefile editing.

Please can you provide more details of the workflow you would like to build?

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
WesBailes
New Contributor III

Michael,

That sounds great for what we are attempting to do.  As I mentioned earlier, really impressed with most everything I've seen from this SDK with the exception of editing.  Really not feasible for users (hundreds) of this application to have their own feature service, and we really wouldn't want to be involved in seeing/managing their data anyway in a synching type environment.  The workflow you mention where a geodatabase could be packaged on the desktop, sent to the device, edited, and have some mechanism to get it back to the desktop for more editing/analysis.  Any idea on the timeframe for the next release?  Thanks again!

Wes     

0 Kudos