Is sync support in mmpks just a wrapper around .geodatabase sync support?

Jump to solution
06-10-2021 04:13 PM
ReedHunter
New Contributor III

I was starting to upgrade from .geodatabase to .mmpk for purposes of staying with a file format that will be supported longer, but that now seems unnecessary.  Can anyone confirm that's true?

I have an older (100.6) .Net app that nightly generates a .geodatabase file from an ArcGIS Server feature service.  There's only one feature service we need, and no other data sources.  Since learning that mmpk files began supporting map syncs in late 2019, and knowing that .mmpks are a more recent file format than .geodatabase files, I upgraded to 100.11 and thought I had better upgrade my offline file type to keep up with the latest tech. 

Now that I dove in to implementing the upgrade, I'm doubting a geodatabase -> mmpk refactor is needed.  This api doc says that mobile map packages are effectively a folder that can contain other files, including .geodatabase files.  That leads me to suspect that far from replacing .geodatabase files, mmpks depend on them for sync support.  

Can anyone confirm that's the case?  If I just need to upgrade from 100.6 to 100.11 then I'm done already.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

MMPK is to simplify packing the entire map which may contain tile packages, vector tile packages, geodatabases, rasters etc. The geodatabase that is inside an mmpk is the same, so no you don't need to move to map packages if you don't need that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

MMPK is to simplify packing the entire map which may contain tile packages, vector tile packages, geodatabases, rasters etc. The geodatabase that is inside an mmpk is the same, so no you don't need to move to map packages if you don't need that.